Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal server

I have a cisco 2621XM Terminal server connected to A router.  The Terminal server has 32 ports and connected to 32 cisco deviceses. I was trying to login one of my Router which is cisco router 7609 that has a sup-720. The sup-720 failed and I was trying to upgrade the IOS on the sup-720. when I reload it and send a "BREAK" from the puTTY it didn't work.  Is there any way I can send a BREAK from the puTTY or push any key that works.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal serv

Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the standard break sequences do not work, you can try the special commands: right click on the header of putty / Special Commands / Break.

Cheers,

Rose

In PuTTY, you can use the key combination of CTRL+Break.

Don R. Crawley, Linux+, CCNA Security
Author and speaker for the IT industry
Author of The Accidental Administrator:  Cisco ASA Security Appliance Step-by-Step Configuration Guide
www.soundtraining.net/bookstore

Don R. Crawley, Linux+, CCNA Security Author and speaker for the IT industry Author of The Accidental Administrator: Cisco ASA Security Appliance Step-by-Step Configuration Guide http://www.soundtraining.net/bookstore

What is the difference

What is the difference between sending a standard break sequence using Control+Break and a special break command using  PuTTY?

The reason for asking is that my colleague could not send a break using the Control+Break keyboard keys but was able to interrupt to booting of an ME3600-X switch using the special break command from the PuTTY menu, which I find rather weird.

Regards

Tom

use "CTRL + SHIFT + 6 + X"

as far as I know..

and also there is command to enable break on boot.

But, I forgot... try to read IOS command guide.

Not to ressurect a dead thread, but you guys are referencing break sequences for a computer directly connected to a console. All attempts I've tried for these sequences when doing reverse telnet through a terminal server (in my case a 3725) are completely ignored. To my knowledge there's no way to correct this issue.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal

Keith Wood wrote:

Not to ressurect a dead thread, but you guys are referencing break sequences for a computer directly connected to a console. All attempts I've tried for these sequences when doing reverse telnet through a terminal server (in my case a 3725) are completely ignored. To my knowledge there's no way to correct this issue.

Yes it's possible. Configure telnet break-on-ip. Then send Interrupt Process signal with Putty Special Command menu.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/termserv/configuration/guide/tsv_dialin_term_svcs_ps10591_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

You, sir, are my new best friend. I wish I could mark this question as answered.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Man!! you're the MAN

Also from me Paolo: Thank you!

worked for me! thanks Paolo

worked for me! thanks Paolo!

this is the new link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/termserv/configuration/guide/15-mt/tsv-15-MT-book/tsv_dialin_term_svcs.html

don't forget to remove the "telnet break-on-ip" command when you're done.

Re: How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal serv

that worked thanks

crtl+Shfit+6+x

Enter

Cisco Employee

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery

you can use the key combination of CTRL+Break.

or

right click on the header of putty / Special Commands / Break.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal

Ravi Singh wrote:

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery

you can use the key combination of CTRL+Break.

or

right click on the header of putty / Special Commands / Break.

Just as others before, you are not understood the question.

That is, how to send break from a Cisco asynch interface, not how to send break from Putty with serial connection.

Read answer by myself.

Legend. Thank you. Ive been

Legend. Thank you. Ive been using Putty ofr year never realised the Break command. I couldn't get any of my Mac buttons to work with the VM. It solved my problems.

Views
Helpful
Replies