Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

How to disconnect session with Service Module when remotely connected to router via 2511-RJ terminal access server

I have several routers and switches connected to a Cisco 2511-RJ remote access terminal server. One of the routers is a Cisco 2821 router with an Etherswitch Service Module. I am able to establish a session with the 2821 via the 2511. While in the 2821, I can establish another session with the EtherSwitch Service Module. The problem is that when I want to get back to the 2821 router CLI, I would normally press Ctrl+Shift+6 then x to break the session with the service module. However, since I'm using a terminal access server in this setup, if I do that, I exit back out to the 2511 CLI. I've tried configuring session-timeout and exec-timeout for line 66 on the 2821 but the router is still stuck in the connection with the service module. I suppose I can just move the console cable from the 2511 to the 2821 everytime I want to disconnect with the service module, but that defeats the purpose of using the terminal server. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to disconnect session with Service Module when remotely connected to router via 2511-RJ terminal access server

Initially when I tried this, the "session-timeout 1" configuration under "line 66" on the 2821 router didn't disconnect the tty session with the EtherSwitch Service Module after one minute, but now it does. I didn't reload the router or anything. I'm not sure what is different. Waiting one minute is not really the ideal solution here, but the best I can come up with. It works for those of us that are too lazy to get up and swap cables around. 

1 REPLY

Re: How to disconnect session with Service Module when remotely connected to router via 2511-RJ terminal access server

Initially when I tried this, the "session-timeout 1" configuration under "line 66" on the 2821 router didn't disconnect the tty session with the EtherSwitch Service Module after one minute, but now it does. I didn't reload the router or anything. I'm not sure what is different. Waiting one minute is not really the ideal solution here, but the best I can come up with. It works for those of us that are too lazy to get up and swap cables around. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content