cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hundreds of users on cable: limits of router?

ja1064
Level 1
Level 1

we recently had a Comcast cable connection installed. We connected off-hours one night and things looked fine. Around mid morning users experienced failures getting to web sites and a download test was lousy. We disconnected played around with it, checked with Comcast who said things looked fine. With just a single computer there are no problems. We tried it again (2 more times) with same results. Comcast has now explained that the SMC device they gave us is not designed for the volume of users we have. They have installed Cisco at a couple of our other sites (where there are only a dozen of fewer users). Can someone tell me the capacity of the broadband Cisco routers? We could have many hundreds of users connected.

3 Replies 3

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

It varies according to the type of broad band router.A cisco SOHO(Small Office Home Office) secure broadband routers provide secure connectivity to small and remote offices with up to five users and teleworkers . A 6400 series broadband aggregation supports min 2000 users. I think a UBR(Universal BroadBand) router can support your requirement

tnx for the response.

is the UBR a cisco product or a generic description of a kind of router?

EjayHire
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

You don't say specifically, but I would guess that the SMC is performing NAT to convert from Public IP(s) to private addresses. The limitation would most likely come then from the router's inability to handle the large NAT state table required by 100+ users. As an alternative to a UBR, You could use an external firewall to perform NAT.

Ejay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: