cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP conflict using VPN

rdavday74
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue where I have an outside consultant that needs access to several servers in our office. The consultant is using the Cisco VPN client from his home without any problems. When he's in his office he can't connect to us because we have the same IP scheme they do and the IP address are resolving to local machines in their office.

They want us to change our IP scheme so they can access the necessary systems. I'm not thrilled with that solution and I'm looking for ideas. I'm new to Cisco routing and I've been told they could setup a static route to us but I don't know how to tell them the process to set it up.

Our IP scheme, and theirs, is 192.168.1.XXX. I'd apprieciate any help.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

David,

First off if there your consultants telling you to change your network because there using the same scope. You need to tell them that is not your problem. Readdressing an IP network is time consuming and a huge pain so if you have a lot of hosts don't do it. Now lets get to the meat of the problems. What you can do to be more accomodating is setup your VPN so that when they connect the address's given to them are in a different Network. From there if they have to connect to servers on your network NAT them into that scope or some different scope.

Patrick