Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Problem

suresharja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have set branch offices connected to central office using leased lines and ISDN lines as backup.The dialer interfaces configured in braches to dial to central office are dialing to central office when leased line goes down but not able to exchange the routing table and not even able to ping to central office.can you through some light why ? From branch office when I try to ping to central office dailer interface IP address, ISDN line is getting connected( show isdn active is showing the connection) but not pinging.

Thanks

suresh

6 Replies 6

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Suresh,

Verify that the backup interface IP network is included in the routing protocol configuration in both sides and also chk whether the backup interfac e ip on both sides are in the same subnet.

This is the mistake we use to face when the backup link is established but no routing information is transmitted across the backup link

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Hi Balaji,

I have verified the configuration and the problem is Central Office router not able to map the dialer interfaces to Physical BRI interfaces.It is found out when I see " Show interface DialerX ". But when I see "SHOW ISDN ACTIVE" router showing the active connections.

How to solve this problem.

Regards,

Suresh

Hi suresh,

If you are finding the mapping between dialer interface to BRI is not happening, then chk whether the dialer pool is configured in the dialer interface and whether that particular BRi interface is configured as a memeber of that dialer pool.

Just try debug dialer command and see whether it will indicate the following for an outbound call:

*Mar 1 07:20:45.676: Di15: Cannot place call, no dialer pool set

if this is case, Configure the dialer pool command on the dialer interface.

Or If the physical interface is not associated with any pool, the debug message on the calling router will be the same as in the case where no more physical interfaces are available, causing the fast idle timer to trigger

*Mar 1 11:54:14.937: Di15: No free dialer - starting fast idle timer

Configure the dialer pool-member command on the physical interface to associate it to a dialer pool

If still it not solves ur problem, could u post ur config. so that we can also deal better.

Rate if it does,

Rgs

madhur_malik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Suresh,

As you have created seperate dialers for each branch. It seems that ISDN Calls are not getting bounded with respective dialers.

a) You can add "dialer caller XXX" command in all the interface where XXX will be the remote ISDN number which will be dialing to Central Router.

b) Else try configuring authentication in physical interface at Central Router such as BRI0 in case of BRI or S0:15 in case of PRI).

If still it doesn't solve your problem, i would request to put your router configuration.

Regards

Madhur

Hope this will give u an idea.....

sample configuration

====================

Remote Router

hostname remote

!

username HO password secret1

!

isdn switch-type basic-net3

!

interface Ethernet 0

ip address 131.x.x.x.255.255.0

!

interface BRI 0

encapsulation PPP

ppp authentication chap

dialer idle-timeout 300

dialer map IP 131.x.x.2 name HO

dialer-group 1

!

ip route 131.108.x.x.x.0.0 131.108.157.2

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.x.x.108.157.2

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

Main Router

===========

hostname HO

!

username xxx password xxx

username xxx password xxx

!

isdn switch-type basic-net3

!

interface Ethernet 0

!

interface BRI 0

encapsulation PPP

ppp authentication chap

dialer idle-timeout 300

dialer map IP 131.x.x.1 name remote

dialer-group 1

!

ip route 131.x.x.x.x.255.0 131.108.157.1

!

regards

Babu

kianaun
Level 1
Level 1

Suresh,

Can you post up the config file for troubleshooting purposes?

My assumption is:

- Main is using PRI and leased line.

- Remote will dial-in when lease-line is down through ISDN.

- Routing,dialing number all will need to be taken care off.

Please post config to verify further.

thks,

ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: