Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting PPP Multilink bandwidth usage

ciccio4242
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two ISDN routers, both having the BRI ports.

On my router, ports are configured as follows:

interface BRI0

bandwidth 128

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1

isdn switch-type basic-net3

no cdp enable

!

interface BRI1

bandwidth 128

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1

no cdp enable

!

interface Dialer1

bandwidth 128

ip address <ip> <Netmask>

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name <name>

dialer idle-timeout 30

dialer string <number>

dialer caller <number>

dialer load-threshold 1 either

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

!

Remote is configured as follows:

interface BRI0

bandwidth 128

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

!

interface BRI1

bandwidth 128

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

!

interface Dialer1

bandwidth 128

ip address <ip> <Netmask>

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name <name>

dialer idle-timeout 30

dialer string <number>

dialer caller <number>

dialer load-threshold 1 either

dialer-group 1

ppp multilink

no cdp enable

!

What happens is that all of the four B-channels are used, even if I have set bandwidth 128, so if I dial to this remote site I can't dial to the other remote sites I have.

How can I correct this behaviour, i.e. have my remote site that takes no more than 2 B channels?

Thanks

Ciao

9 Replies 9

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi ,

You have configured a single dialer and have binded the BRI with the dialer and with this config , you cannot connect to two locations.

Use two dialer and bind each BRI with each dialer and use it to connect to two locations.

For a single location means , change the dialer load threshold to 150 ( 150/255 ) load so that the four channels are not triggered immediately rather than getting triggered based on load condition.

Pls let me know if your requirement was something else

regards

vanesh k

This was only an example. I have 20 different dialers.

What I need is not to have all four channel triggered after a while, but to have no more than two channels triggered, whatever bandwidth requirement I have.

Ciao

senglobe0907
Level 1
Level 1

use load threshold command.

In the original post from Francesco it is clear that both dialer intefaces already do specify the load threshold command.

I note in the original post that the first router does not include ppp multilink in its config while the remote router does specify ppp multilink. I am not clear whether the difference is real or is a result of inconsistent cut and paste by Francesco. I would think it would be problematic if the configs were really inconsistent in this matter.

I also note that there is no authentication on the BRI or on the Dialer interfaces. I have seen situations where not specifying authentication will cause one connection to be made for inbound traffic and a different connection to be made for outbound traffic. I suggest configuring ppp authentication (could be PAP or could be CHAP) and see if that changes the behavior.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I'll try tomorrow your suggestions. There are no ppp multilink on one side, because when I had ppp multilink on both sides I had the problem that after a while, router stopped making dial out, i.e. the debug showed interesting traffic, but this didn't cause a dialup anymore.

Somebody suggested me to remove ppp multilink from my side, and this effectively worked, since I hadn't experienced that problem anymore.

Ciao

ciccio4242

Rick,

no, putting ppp authentication on BRI interface does not work.

Any ideas?

Ciao

Hi,

If your requirement is only to have two channels triggered , then associate each BRI with a dialer , so that you have a max of 2 channels . But in case if you want multiple dialers to use a single BRI , then go fo dialer rotary group.

pls let us know if you requirement was diff

regards

vanesh k

network.king,

I need to have more dialers than BRI's, so I'll deal with dialer rotary groups. but can U please explain me how they work, and what's the difference with or without them?

Thanks a lot

Ciao

avillalva
Level 1
Level 1

If you make just one of the BRI interfaces part of dialer pool-member 1 then the dialer will only be able to use that BRI.

hope that helps,

Andres

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: