cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help setting up remote access

blacksayien
Level 1
Level 1

I have some cisco equipment, i.e. 3 2501's 1 2502,1 2612,1 2924 switch,1 2521,1 2503 1 2511,.I'm setting this up for a lab.What i want to know is how can i configure this so that i may be able to remotely access my lab,so that i may do configs,studying for my certs.I hope i'm explaining myself correctly and that this is the right forum for this.Thanks in advance

11 Replies 11

Hi, I have done some troubleshooting to get a slow-speed Serial interface working as a Async console interface.

I have already got the AUX 0 working, and can telnet to the console on another router by pressing: telnet x.x.x.x 2065

But I also have 8 Async serial interfaces.

I have connected a serial 60pin <---> DB25.

But I cant get the port to Open: telnet x.x.x.x 2040 (A/S port 8)

Can anyone please help me.

The page above does not help me...

Best Regards // Jimi

Please attached a show version, Show running (removed IP's if Needed), and a show line.

Thanks,

mike

Michael Stuckey
Level 3
Level 3

Here is the link for setting up the 2511.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

Or search for Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server

Document ID: 5466

Now if you want to access your network remotely you will need to set up the 2511 to your public network. We do not have enough information on you network to help with this.

Do you want to do this from the Internet?

If so you will have need to set up some natting on your Firewall to allow you through to the 2511 Ethernet interface. Be careful a lot of people (hackers) would like access too.

I just found out why...

I used: async mode dedicated

And that was the problem.

After I removed that command it all got to work.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards // Jimi

Did you try async mode interactive? This allows for both exec and PPP type connections PPP is for networking connections such as Dial-up networking. Just like dialing into an ISP.

Glad you got it working good luck.

hello hotchilidog well if going through the internet increases the chances of hackers then no.Is there another way of doing that? if not then i will have to go the way of the internet.

I only see 2 choices.

1. You build a connection through the INTERNET or

2. You create a dial-up connection into the AUX port.

Either way you can still set up usernames and passwords for your access and you will be the only person who actually know your IP address too.

I would actually set up both.

I use the Internet all the time but I have 3 firewalls in place and no I am not anal. I just have the equipment and I use it.

Now i'm getting somewhere,is there a site i could go to and check out how to set up the aux port for dial-up? I have a pix 501 would that be enough for now,until i can purchase another or would it suffice if i use one of the routers as a firewall along with the 501?

I would set the 501 up for a VPN tunnel. Put the Cisco client software on you PC that will be used for doing the remote work. You do have that feature set right? This way you can VPN into your network and then just telnet to the access server and you will be in business. This would be the easiest and best.

Here is the link for AUX dial-in. If wanted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094bbc.shtml

Thanks for your time and patience with me hotchilidog you provided much advice and good advice.I will try this setup and get back to the forum and let you know how it turns out.Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: