cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with Cisco 2511 router...

network27
Level 1
Level 1

Ive just order 2 Cisco 2509/2511 routers and I need to set it up for remote telnet.

I have 20 remote users, which port should I open for remote telnet? Just port 23 or I need to open each port for each device the 2511 connected to?

Your urgent reply would be greatly appreciated.

Merry xmas everyone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bao

Do I understand correctly that you will have 20 remote users who will telnet to the 2511 and from the 2511 will use reverse telnet to access the console of router1, router2, router3, etc which have their console ports connected to async ports of the 2511? If that understanding is correct then the firewall only needs to open TCP port 23 for telnet. The other ports (2001, 2002, etc) are between the 2511 and router1, router2, etc and will not be seen by the firewall. If my understanding is not correct then please clarify.

I do not believe that you will find an image for the 2500 that supports SSH.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

If you haven't blocked using ACL i don't think you need to open any port on the router for telnet.

By default in routers you will have all the access enabled and you need to manually disable them using service commands.

If you want to block the access to the router then you need to use appropriate access lists to block them..

regds

Hi Spremkumar,

Im behind the fireall so I need to ask the network administrators to open the ports in order to remote telnet. Port 23 is all i need? or do i have to open port 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 ,2006 2007...up to port 20 for remote telnet?

here's the scenreio:

remote user---firewall---2511---router1;router2;router3,...

how many ports do i need to open on the firewall so that remote users to access all the routers behind 2511?

Thank you very much

By the way, does 2500 support SSH?

Bao

Do I understand correctly that you will have 20 remote users who will telnet to the 2511 and from the 2511 will use reverse telnet to access the console of router1, router2, router3, etc which have their console ports connected to async ports of the 2511? If that understanding is correct then the firewall only needs to open TCP port 23 for telnet. The other ports (2001, 2002, etc) are between the 2511 and router1, router2, etc and will not be seen by the firewall. If my understanding is not correct then please clarify.

I do not believe that you will find an image for the 2500 that supports SSH.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Many thanks Rick.

That's all i need to know.

Cheers