cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Opinions wanted

rthreshier
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for opinions on how to best setup a site to site VPN. Hardware? Configuration? PPTP or IPsec tunnel??

Currently, my main office has all our servers (Domain controller, Fileshare, Exchange server, DNS,Asterisk (VoIP) and all our network components. (Cisco 2600 router, PIX 515E and Extreme switches on the LAN, bandwidth consists of 1 dedicated T1) We need to open a remote office but the company wants to spend little to no money. I was planning on just a site to site VPN but would like to hear what you guys/gals think from past experiences. Users in the new office will need to get DHCP over VPN from the old office server and be able to print to both offices from either location. I was planning to purchase another C2600 router and either a 506E or another 515. Any suggestions on circuit type, hardware and configuration examples??

Regards,

RobT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If on money saving, why don't spare the PIX and use a router only. It does VPN, firewall and all the stuff very well like the PIX and better in my opinion. You can use something small like a 18xx or for extreme saving, an 87x.

The 2600 is a dated box, expecially if non-XM, and I would avoid given a chance.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If on money saving, why don't spare the PIX and use a router only. It does VPN, firewall and all the stuff very well like the PIX and better in my opinion. You can use something small like a 18xx or for extreme saving, an 87x.

The 2600 is a dated box, expecially if non-XM, and I would avoid given a chance.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

The new office will be a very dynamic lab area which needs to have different server types plugged into a DMZ.

The 2600 is dated but on our shelves.

Miss working for a big company with lots of money!!