Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 506E VPN Multiple Questions

Hi

I have a remote VOIP (Radio over IP actually) application and planned on using a router to the internet(The router is not a Cisco because we need to use a mobile router that supports a USB connection to a Sprint aircard) and a PIX 506E to handle VPN connections. I have recently found out that I need GRE Tunneling Protocol to pass the VOIP broadcast packets across the internet through the VPN connection.

First question. Does the PIX-506E support GRE Tunneling Protocol?

Second question. Does Cisco have Windows client software to connect to a VPN connection that can use GRE Tunneling protocol? If they do is there a cost for it?

And my last question. Am I going about this properly or is there a better way? Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks You

Rob

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: PIX 506E VPN Multiple Questions

The answer is NO to the first and second questions.

As far as the third one, since IPSEC on the Pix natively supports only unicast packets and not broadcast or multicast, you cannot send multicast packets over the VPN Connection.

If you are planning to tunnel between two sites, then you need routers on both the sites that support GRE to do GRE Over IPEC.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

Views
Helpful
Replies