cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Implementation guide line in cisco 1841

Hi

I am Using Cisco 1841 router .

I have 2 mbps of LL Internet Line .

I want to implement Qos for my internet & Smtp traffic by givin 512 kbps to internet & 1 mbps to Smtp Traffic

I want to give prirotry to smtp traffice for In /out

Can any body will tell best solution.

18 Replies 18

Agreed on Ilya. And I believe there is an alternate solution is to garantee other applications with minimum bandwidth to avoid the SMTP to occupy all bandwidth. Therefore, I suggest to use bandwidth command but only for non-SMTP application, e.g. 256k. It means if there is congestion, the max. SMTP is 1.744Mbps but other applications garanteed w/ 256k.

I also suggest to try both solutions from ilya and me to obtain the most optimal solution. BTW, agreed w/ Ilya again, you need to calculate the average usage of the SMTP traffic then put the correct value.

Hope this helps.

Jack, the problem with approach of giving guaranteed bandwidth to other apps is that they will all end up in single fifo queue. No problem for fast interfaces, but for sub-2Mbps links fair-queue is often desirable.

Ilya, thanks for your notification. I still think it is worth to test if the one of solution still not make a good result then there is no harm to test another one. Right ?

Indeed :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: