Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP connection failed

g_3428342
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 877: workstation XP Pro.

Only the administrator can make an RDP connection, when logged in as user (with admin rights) connection freezes.

877 replaced by different brand, no problem.

9 Replies 9

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Gerard,

are you saying that when the administrator logs on to the Windows XP machine as a user (through a Cisco 877 router) the connection freezes ? Can you post the configuration of the 877 ?

Regards,

GNT

Hi,

When the administrator logs in on the Desktop, there are no problems. when you login as the user, the RDP connection freezes on the RDP login screen.

When you replace the 877 by a Zyxel modem, there are no problems at all for both login's.

Attached the config file.

Thanks,

Gerard

Hi,

Additional remark.

When the admin user tries to make a RDP connection, no problem. When the user tries to make a RDP connection it freezes.

Gerard

Hello Gerard,

can you try and add the following line to your configuration:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.211.10 3389 interface Dialer0 type 3389

Also, you might want to check the article below, not sure if this might be related to your problem, but you might want to give it a try and implement the procedure:

Concurrent Remote Desktop Sessions in Windows XP SP2

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

Regards,

GNT

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I can not test it, because I am not on site. I can see that you want to create an inside rule for RDP, but the problem occurs to all stations and not only to .10, also without this rule, I wonder how the administrator, using the same hardware, does not have this problem.

Gerard

Hi Gerald,

This seems to be a Admin privilages issue. Just provide admin rights to the users and check out. It must work.

Thanks

Umesh Joshi

Umesh,

That is what I tried out first thing, but no luck.

Something has been stored in the profile of the user, which is detected by the 877 only.

When I recreate the profile it works for a couple of times. After that same old story.

Gerard

Umesh,

That is what I tried out first thing, but no luck.

Something has been stored in the profile of the user, which is detected by the 877 only.

When I recreate the profile it works for a couple of times. After that same old story.

Gerard

I would suggest putting a sniffer on your network and compare the dumps between a successful administrator RDP session and an unsuccessful user session. Sniff the server nic and the client nic. If you see layer 3 and up differences (other than the u/p), could help to point you in the right direction.