Views
Helpful
Replies

Reboot a device from another?

davemac2626
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Is there any command or tcl script that anyone knows of that will enable you to reboot a switch or router from another one?

Like you would reboot a pc using shutdown -i in windows.....

Many thanks

Dave

7 Replies 7

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

There are two easy means to do it.

If SSH is configured on the target switch/router, you can issue a remote command like this:

ssh x.x.x.x "reload"

If you configure SNMP write access and "snmp-server system-shutdown" on the target, you can also reload the unit with snmpset:

snmpset x.x.x.x community .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0 i 2

Replace community with whatever community you've set for write on your router/switch. If you're using SNMPv3, you'll have to alter the snmpset parameters to account for this.

The latter method won't work from a router, but will allow you to do remote reloads from computer.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

That all depends on how you see it.

are you asking if you via remote access can telnet or ssh to a server and shut it down ?

yes that is possible.

if you can choose then use SSH.

are you asking if you can write a script that remotely will telnet or ssh to a server ?

yes i think that is possible.

it should be able to do just that, but i have never tested it.

are you asking if you can write a script that will respond to something you do to the router/switch to make it respond with a reload ? yes that is absolutely possible.

fx you can use hits on an access-list to trigger a eem who can issue commands.

are you asking if you can add hardware to a router to reset it ?

yes that is possible.

there are serial links or routers or modems with serial interfaces that can be used to connect to a router/switch serial ports so that you can use the cli.

Good luck

HTH

I've got most of my remote devices plugged into managed PDU's.  So you can log into a PDU and power cycle a device.  Just make sure the PDU management interface isn't plugged into the device you're killing power to or you could be in a worse place.

I also prefer to have my devices connected ethernet power bricks that I can control via script or simply log into its web interface to control power to a particular device.  LIke mentioned in the previous post if you're using the on/off outlet controls make sure you don't turn off power and shut down your access.  For that reason I prefer to always use the "cycle" power buttons because the power is automatically re-applied and the time out period expires, usually 3 seconds.

There are many products that do this but I've been happy with these and there very reasonbly priced.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/dli.products.html

It depends of operating system you are using

DAVID THORNTON
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I can successfully reload router using an snmpset with rw community string and

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0 using integer 2

i would like to be able to CANCEL this via snmp also..... but i cant seem to get this to work

however the cisco docs i can see talk about 4 as cancelling it.

can alnyone comment or advise if they have been able to get this to work please?

thanks

dave

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

David - Did any of the answers work for you?