Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Remote access VPN split tunnel query (sort of reverse split tunnel?)

Hi,

I have a theory question I was hoping someone could shed some light on...

I am currently playting around with remote access using a 871 router and the Cisco VPN client.

I have it working perfectly for a full tunnel (everything is encrypted and sent over the VPN) and also a split tunnel (where traffic for the main office is sent over the VPN andeverythign else goes out locally). But I've come across a new scenario which has thrown me.

In the above two scenario's I specifiy what traffic goes through the VPN tunnel, for example for the split tunnel ACL I specify the address ranges for the local LAN and this traffic passes through the VPN tunnel, the rest then goes out locally. However my question is now: Is there a way to specify which traffic should not go through the VPN tunnel. I.E.I want traffic for one network (10.0.0.0/8 for example) to go out locally and all other traffic go back back over the tunnel. The scenario is there are some local resources I want clients in the branch to be able to access and all other traffic goes back to the central site. (By the way, I appreciate there is a better way to do this with a site-to-site VPN tunnel between the branch router and the HQ router but in this case I want to do it using VPN clients on laptops at the branch site).

I assumed I could create an ACL which just denied certain traffic and permitted the rest but I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

I don't need anyone to give me a working config I'm just trying to understand the theory. Is what I'm asking possible? or does it just not work this way?

Many Thanks,

Tom Whittle

Everyone's tags (6)
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi Tom,I think this is only

Hi Tom,

I think this is only possible by adding a specific route on the host level with a lower metric(if needed) pointing the local GW. Don't think there is an automatic way to do this just using VPN client config.

Hi,Many thanks for your

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. That is a good idea, so actually putting a route into the routing table of the host machine, in my case windows.

I will give this a go.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content