cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace analog modem dial-up line with router leased line

pllim
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my situation. I am trying to replace existing modem dial-up connection that looks something like this -

Local PC --- Modem (Ext.) --- phone line --- Modem (Ext.) --- Remote Repeater Station

The Local PC will dial into the Remote Repeater Station (RRS) to perform configuration tasks. It is able to dial into any RRS that has a modem attached one at a time.

My objective is to be able to perform the same configuration tasks without the modems and phone line. I have already established a router-leased line-router connection between the local and remote sites. Can you tell me what Cisco Card/Module/Cable/etc is necessary for me to use and the configuration needed on the routers?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Very good. Remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please explain in detail what is that you have "already established", and why you are asking since you have "already established".

I have only connected the two routers together over a leased line. Both routers can communicate (PING) with each other. The PC and RRS are not connected to the routers.

I am doing this test in a lab environment. The 2 routers are connected using their Ethernet port via a UTP cable. Both routers are also installed with Async/Sync serial network module.

Router A - IP address 10.80.1.1/16

Router B - IP address 10.80.1.2/16

Very good, now what's your question ?

I would like to connect a PC to the Local Router and the RSS to the Remote Router? The RSS has a Serial DB25 (female) port that acts like a Cisco Console port.

I need the PC to be able to connect to the RSS to perform configuration tasks on the RSS. Can you tell what Cisco card/module/cable/etc are required? Also, what is the configuration on the Cisco Routers?

Thank you.

On the remote router, do sh line to see which line you have connected the rss. From the pc, telnet to port 2000 + line number. You can search for "terminal server" in the documentation.

Thanks a lot.

I got it working.

Very good. Remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: