cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Telent - Can't break out with CTRL+SHIFT+6 X

davidchances
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all - was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to break out of a telnet session using the key combination mentioned above.

I have a Cisco 2511 Router that has attached to it 2 x 8 Way octal cables that each connect to console ports on various routers in our network. When I make a console connection to the 2511 I am able to connect to any of the routers that have octal connection back to it - no problems, I simply invoke CTRL+SHIFT+6 then hit x. I can then resume that session whenever I choose. However, when I telnet to the 2511 (from a remote on a different network) using any software, Hyperterm, Windows, CRT I cannot break out of a connection that I make to another router from it.

Further tests suggest that the 2511 accepts the CTRL+SHIFT+6 keys, but as soon as I hit the x it freezes and then my telnet session to the 2511 times out. I am guessing that the problem is that I am doing a telnet to a telnet - if that makes sense. When I console and then telnet then all is fine. All the ports, vty, con are set to accpept the default escape-characters.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Manish

Try this, instead of CTRL+SHIFT+6 and x try the control sequence twice and then the x (CTRL+SHIFT+6 CTRL+SHIFT+6 and then x)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I tried that and it did not help.

Ok, I have spent some more time on this and it appears tat the issue is routing oddly enough. I got a friend that was connected to the net to telnet to the router and try the same thing and it worked - they could break out at will. The problem exists when I try and telnet from a address that cannot be "reached" - i.e when I make the connection to the 2511 and then type sh users I can see my connection - but i can't ping that address. So it seems that the CTR+SHIFT+6 X cannot get back - which is odd, because the telnet commands are getting back - becasue I can see the router and issue commands (except that one). I changed the source interface for telnet to the e0 port and even the l0 but still no good. My set up is this

PC on internet-->LinksysRouter-->2511-->Octal Cable to 16 routers.

Linksys router has Public IP address given by ISP, it gives out RFC 1918 addresses to the clients connected to it's switched ports such as 2511.

Any help from anyone would be most appreicated.

Hello David,

Just FYI..

I'm so glad I found this forum topic. I'm having the same issue with my 2600 terminal server. I hope someone can help us resolve this issue. Everything that you did I too also verified.

Can anyone Please help?

Ben

Ben,

Im hidden behind a proxy here at work, and that must be blocking something. We need to identify what message the Terminal Server is sending back - when we press CTRL+SHIFT+6 X. Whatever that traffic type is - that's s what we need to allow or through the proxy or change.

I tried some debug's but can't see anything.

Hi David

Great point! I too am at work so this issue is more than likely the same. I hope we can figure this thing out. I will keep looking and see if anyone can help.

Ben

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas on this? Surely it's not a massive problem. I have tried for days and days now. The telnet traffic is getting their - just not the escape sequence. Please help!!