Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Access

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I need to access router using hyperterminal dial in process, phone line has extended to router AUX port. i have hypertermial on my machine with phone line connected to its RJ11 port. Does any settings need to be done on hyperterminal or any configuration on router to get access through AUX port.

pls help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Use the following commands to configure the router AUX line:

We have previously verified that the AUX port is on line 65:

maui-rtr-10(config)#line 65
maui-rtr-10(config-line)#modem inout

!--- Permit incoming and outgoing calls on this modem.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#speed 115200

!--- Line speed to be used to communicate with the modem.
!--- Verify that the AUX port supports this speed.
!--- Refer to Bitrate Information for supporting information. 

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#transport input all

!--- Allow all protocols to use the line.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#flowcontrol hardware

!--- Enable RTS/CTS flow control.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#login

!--- Use the password configured on the line to authenticate 
!--- incoming connections.
!--- This password is configured below:

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#password cisco

For further details you may find this link helpful

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/10318-mod-aux-exec.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear from your description whether you extended the phone line and have plugged the phone line directly into the aux port or whether you have a modem connected to the phone line and the modem connected to the aux port. Also when you say the phone line is connected to RJ11 on your machine does that indicate that there is a built in modem on your machine so the phone line is connected to a modem in your machine?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richards..

I am too not much sure.. actually i have a client which router i need to access. Client has a POTS line and connected to router AUX port that he is saying i dont know how.And he want me to connect.

On my side i have a phone line running. I took phone line cable out and connected to my laptop RJ11 port. I have hyperterminal installed on my laptop and want to connect through it.

There is a modem i can see in my laptop hardware but not sure whether it is installed with operating system.

If there is a modem in your laptop hardware then probably it is installed and can be used. In hyperterm there should be an option to make the connection using a dial access in which you would specify things like the phone number that you want to connect to.

Your client needs to tell you what phone number to dial to make the connection and needs to understand whether they have a modem connected or how they are making the connection to their router. They may also have some configuration to do on the aux port to prepare it for a dial/modem connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richards.. Could you also describe what configurations are needed to put under line AUX so that i could check this with client.

Use the following commands to configure the router AUX line:

We have previously verified that the AUX port is on line 65:

maui-rtr-10(config)#line 65
maui-rtr-10(config-line)#modem inout

!--- Permit incoming and outgoing calls on this modem.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#speed 115200

!--- Line speed to be used to communicate with the modem.
!--- Verify that the AUX port supports this speed.
!--- Refer to Bitrate Information for supporting information. 

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#transport input all

!--- Allow all protocols to use the line.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#flowcontrol hardware

!--- Enable RTS/CTS flow control.

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#login

!--- Use the password configured on the line to authenticate 
!--- incoming connections.
!--- This password is configured below:

maui-rtr-10(config-line)#password cisco

For further details you may find this link helpful

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/10318-mod-aux-exec.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: