Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Secured remote printing

I saw a similar question that was not answered.  Let's try again.

I have a group of users at a remote site who use the AnyConnect SSL VPN client to connect back to the main office.  The remote site is not controlled by us.  The users connect their laptops to the lan when they come in and take them out at the end of the workday.

I am tasked with finding a printing solution for them.  They need to connect to a printer located in the remote facility.  Split-tunneling is out of the question.  Is there any way to connect this printer via VPN to the main office so that print jobs can be sent to it?

I am surprised that this is not a common problem.

Thanks,

George

Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Secured remote printing

You will need a PC permanently connected to VPN to share the printer.

Alternatively, you can install a small router, and connect the entire LAN permanently.

Secured remote printing

I doubt if we would be allowed to connect another workstation because we went to the VPN solution to remove the fileserver from the area.

Some of the remote locations may have the laptops further apart than using a USB sharing device would allow.

We do not control the area that the laptops will be located so we cannot have a permanently connected LAN.

Security cannot be compromised in our configuration.

Is there a cisco or any router that:

1. Must be activated by an active PC user
  2. Once activated by one user, allow another port (for printer) to connect to VPN.
  3. Require other PC's that connect to firewall sign-in.
  4. Once all users are disconnected, deactivae the priner port.
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Secured remote printing

No, cisco routers don't work like that, or it would be very complicated to achieve.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content