Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Serial async dialbackup ports not working after shut, no shut??

I have four serial interfaces with async modems configured for dial-back to remote sites. While testing the dial-backup to the remote sites I noticed that host router was always using the same serial port to dial each remote site. In order force the dial backup mechanism to use another of the four host modems, I did a "shut" on the serial interface with the modem. Although this did force the dialer to use another modem in the pool, after doing a no shut on the modem serial interfaces I found that it was unusable for dial-back after that, that is, the dialer could not dial-out on the modem. I had the customer power cycle the modems on the serial interfaces but they still shows as down. Below is a sample excerpts of my config:

interface Serial2/0

description *** Dial Back-Up #1Phone***

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

dialer in-band

dialer pool-member 1

dialer pool-member 2

dialer pool-member 3

dialer pool-member 4

dialer pool-member 5

dialer pool-member 6

dialer pool-member 8

dialer pool-member 9

fair-queue

pulse-time 1

no cdp enable

interface Dialer1

description *** Dial Back-Up to Bridgton ***

ip address 172.21.1.2 255.255.255.248

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer rotor best

dialer idle-timeout 300

dialer wait-for-carrier-time 60

dialer string 99473624

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

Anyone ever see this. How can I re-initialize the serial ports with the modems again. No shut does not seem to work??

Thanks,

Tony

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Serial async dialbackup ports not working after shut, no shu

Hello Tony,

not sure if this helps, but try the interface command 'ignore-dcd' on your serial interface(s); the modem might be sending a DSR (data set ready), while the interface would listen for DCD (Data Carrier Detect) as up/down indicator.

Regards,

Nethelper

Views
Helpful
Replies