cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-site VPN over ADSL

oleg.slivnyak
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to setup a site-to-site VPN between 2 offices with 2xASA5505. All we need is file sharing - no apps will be running on it.

Both offices use ADSL connection. Is site-to-site VPN going to work over ADSL or we need to get an upgrade to something more stable?

Thank you.

Oleg

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oleg

I do not see any reason why a site to site VPN would not work over ADSL. The ASA5505 would seem to be a good choice for implementing this.

In a site to site VPN each side generally uses a unique IP subnet on its LAN and you route between them over the VPN. Is this what you are planning?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, that's pretty much what we're planning to do. My concern was that with frequent connection drops and generally unreliable service in ADSL, VPN tunnel will need to be re-established manually.

Thanks.

Oleg

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Oleg,

I'm not familiar with the different products and services of your country. But I do know for a fact that in Australia, "internet-grade" ADSL and SLA DO NOT MIX. Businesses are encouraged to opt for "business-grade" DSL (called BDSL). This is more expensive than the former but cheaper than dedicated line.

Hope this helps.

Oleg,

ADSL is not stable as you mentioned. However the tunnel would be automatically built as long as interesting traffic has been passed through the ASA. To make sure that you enable "keepalive" on both side to check the peer status.

HTH,

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: