cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to site vpn route multiple source subnet over vpn tunnel

satish.txt1
Level 1
Level 1

We have site to site VPN tunnel between our office and AWS cloud and everything seems working great, now we have one more subnet at office location which we want to route over same tunnel so this is what i did. 

existing ACL for interesting traffic. 

access-list ACL-VPN extended permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.100.4.0 255.255.255.0

new subnet which i want to route over existing tunnel 

access-list ACL-VPN extended permit ip 64.100.200.0 255.255.255.0 10.100.4.0 255.255.255.0

as soon as i add new ACL it bring down previous tunnel and now i can ping from 64 network to 10.100.4.0 network, what is the solution here? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GioGonza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello @satish.txt1

The S2S with AWS are different :)  They only support one security association with Cisco ASA (and maybe other vendors) that´s why the recommendation is to have only one ACL on the crypto map because if you add another it will with both and it will be dropping the connection between the 2 ACLs. 

AWS recommend to have source as ANY and permit the subnets from your site and if you want to apply the subnets to a particular ones, you should apply VPN-Filters on the group-policy and permit the ones you really want. 

This is the documentation from AWS: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/NetworkAdminGuide/Cisco_ASA.html

This is the statement from them: 

! This access list should contain a static route corresponding to your VPC CIDR and allow traffic from any subnet.
! If you do not wish to use the "any" source, you must use a single access-list entry for accessing the VPC range.
! If you specify more than one entry for this ACL without using "any" as the source, the VPN will function erratically.
! The any rule is also used so the security association will include the ASA outside interface where the SLA monitor
! traffic will be sourced from.
! See section #4 regarding how to restrict the traffic going over the tunnel

HTH

Gio

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Could you check whether the new ACL entry overwrite the existing one? Please post the output of 'sh crypto isakmp sa' and 'sh crypto ipsec sa', and part of the running configuration contains the VPN related configs.

HTH,
Meheretab
HTH,
Meheretab

GioGonza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello @satish.txt1

The S2S with AWS are different :)  They only support one security association with Cisco ASA (and maybe other vendors) that´s why the recommendation is to have only one ACL on the crypto map because if you add another it will with both and it will be dropping the connection between the 2 ACLs. 

AWS recommend to have source as ANY and permit the subnets from your site and if you want to apply the subnets to a particular ones, you should apply VPN-Filters on the group-policy and permit the ones you really want. 

This is the documentation from AWS: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/NetworkAdminGuide/Cisco_ASA.html

This is the statement from them: 

! This access list should contain a static route corresponding to your VPC CIDR and allow traffic from any subnet.
! If you do not wish to use the "any" source, you must use a single access-list entry for accessing the VPC range.
! If you specify more than one entry for this ACL without using "any" as the source, the VPN will function erratically.
! The any rule is also used so the security association will include the ASA outside interface where the SLA monitor
! traffic will be sourced from.
! See section #4 regarding how to restrict the traffic going over the tunnel

HTH

Gio

You are goddamn!! right!!  Thanks a lot for that hint! it is working now! 

Hello,

@satish.txt1 what exactly did you do in order to get this to work ?

did change something on your office router or on AWS side ?

I have the same problem where new subnet can not get to my webportal in AWS.

I have Customer Enclave Router (on_premises) connected to Cisco FTD in AWS through another GATEWAY ROUTER (on_premises) basically 

CUSTOMER_ROUTER (on_premises) ------------> GATEWAY_ROUTER (on_premises) --------------> FTDv (AWS)

@GioGonza Please I need you advises on this issue, I can be reached at nasdepago@gmail.com / ntcheumoe@novetta.com

Thank you in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: