Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Telnet access setup

When i setup telnet access I assign an ip address to VLAN 1.

If I have several different IP addresses and networks on one router how do I choose an IP address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Telnet access setup

While I agree with Collin that configuring a loopback interface with an IP address and using that address for management is a generally accepted Best Practice, I am not sure that this really addresses the question in the original post. If I understand the original post correctly the question was that if the router had several interface addresses available how do you choose one as the address to telnet to. And the real answer to that question is that as long as the address is reachable from a remote device that any of the addresses on the router can be used for telnet. Choose any of the addresses on the router and it should work for telnet.

HTH

Rick

2 REPLIES

I would suggest you create a loopback interface, assign it an IP address and manage the router using that IP.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

While I agree with Collin that configuring a loopback interface with an IP address and using that address for management is a generally accepted Best Practice, I am not sure that this really addresses the question in the original post. If I understand the original post correctly the question was that if the router had several interface addresses available how do you choose one as the address to telnet to. And the real answer to that question is that as long as the address is reachable from a remote device that any of the addresses on the router can be used for telnet. Choose any of the addresses on the router and it should work for telnet.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content