Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

telnet cannot connect

Hi, i have a strange problem with my cisco 837. I can telnet to it from my local lan no problems but when i try to telnet to it from work or any external ip it will not and eventually times out. I did have an access list applied to the vty lines but i allowed my work ip address and could see the match counter increment on the allow statement. I have now completely removed the access list but the problem remains.

Trying 82.12.xxx.xxx...

telnet: connect to address 82.12.xxx.xxx: Connection timed out

line vty 0 4

session-timeout 35791

exec-timeout 35791 0

logging synchronous

length 0

transport preferred telnet

transport input telnet ssh

transport output all

2 REPLIES

Re: telnet cannot connect

took me a little while but figured it out. I had my internet connected nat'd, the route map pointed to an access list which said permit ip any any. This was causing the remote telnet/ssh problems. The nat access list needed to be for the inside networks permited only i.e. something like permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any.

Re: telnet cannot connect

On the NAT access-list you need to deny the telnet traffic toward the router.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content