cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet to router through AUX port

muhammad.wajeh
Level 1
Level 1

i have configured my router to telnet through modem dialin but when i dials from my pc to router it give me garbage charcter in my hyperterminal. can any one help me that is this is problem with my router configuration or the cable connection with the router.

router AUX port --> ciscoconsole cable --> cisco 29-4043-01-->modem

5 Replies 5

icabrera
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, have you check your hyperterminal settings?.

Try the connection using at commands like at the next url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009457e.shtml

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Muhammaed

Based on the inputs from your post i feel its mere a baud rate configuration mismatch under line tty.

Can you post the config of the same ?

regds

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Even though the AUX port is supposed to "auto-baud" (usually you need to hit the "Enter" key a couple times), some/many/most/all current modems will set the DTE speed (the console cable) to the DCE speed (the modem-to-modem link) ... and "auto-baud" doesn't always work.

Since the modems will (by default) connect at 56K (or the top speed), chances are that it will try to talk to your Cisco device at some baud above 9.6K, which it is probably expecting.

You can do one of a couple things:

Hard set the modems to a 9.6k DTE speed (and/or DCE speed, since you won't go faster then the slowest baud)

OR

Experiment on the router to hard set the DTE speed to the baud set on the modem's serial port (frequently 115 kilobaud).

Check it out and get back to us.

Good Luck

Scott

I have tried every thing but no success. Can you tell me the exect cable and connector which will connect to the AUX port and Modem DB 25.

Regards

zubairjalal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I suppose you are using a female DB-9 at one end and a RJ-45 connector at the other end. I am attaching a pin diagram for you.

--Pls rate all helpful posts--