Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to add dialer-group 1 to interface

darren.shady
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Here's the following config from a router currently on Dialbackup into my AS5300.

interface Async0/1/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache cef

dialer in-band

dialer pool-member 1

dialer-group 1

async mode dedicated

!

interface Dialer1

ip address 10.14.55.113 255.255.255.252

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

dialer pool 1

dialer idle-timeout 25

dialer string 1-800-000-0000

dialer watch-group 1

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap pap callin

I am unable to use the same config on other 1841 with the same WIC-1AM cards. I receive the error "%Remove Dialer Profile Configuration first".

"Router(config)#int async0/1/0

Router(config-if)#dialer-group 1

%Remove Dialer Profile Configuration first"

I am puzzled. This is a working config. I am using dialer-watch list. The dialer isn't binding because the hardware, async0/1/0 and the dialer1 aren't in the same dialer group? I cannot get the DDR to come up and dial out now. This is only difference between sites able to dial and sites that aren't

Help!

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

You have not told us what kind of router and what version of IOS generated the working config. And you have not mentioned what version of IOS is on the 1841. Those details are potentially helpful.

I am guessing that the version of software running on the 1841 defaults something into the config that makes it believe that there is a dialer profile which it wants removed. Perhaps if you were to post the complete config from the 1841 where it does not work, we might find some explanation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

12.3(11) Advanced Enterprise Edition

I've attached a config minus IP, Access Lists and passwords.

I've attached a working config, pulled right from a site dialed in. Both 1841's are running the same IOS and same WIC cards

Darren

It still has the feeling to me like an IOS difference. Can you verify for us that both routers are running the same version and same feature set of IOS?

I did notice something in the config - though I would not think that it would cause the symptoms that you describe. The working config has this configured on the async interface but the 1841 config does not:

async mode dedicated

Also I do not see a dialer list in either config. Would I assume that you removed it? Is there possibly any difference in them?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I was unable to get that far in the config. You'll notice that that is the last line in the config for that interace. I'm getting the error just before that.

Secondly, if I'm dialed in and add "async mode dedicated" I can never dial into the modem again, and a restart is necessary.

I removed the Dialer String info since it's confidential information. The numbers to be dialed are in the Dialer1 interface.

after debugging, I saw that the dialer watch is catching the down'd route , but isn't binding to anything, I pulled down a known working config to another router and found that I had the same problem with the dialer-group 1, but had the async mode dedicated in the config. This worked and was attempting to dial. Guess I can't add that line to a config while I'm on dialed into the modem

thanks for all of the help

Daniil Skopa
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need to add "dialer-group 1" to interface.

This command will automaticly  appears when you first time establish wireless connection with operator.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: