cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

US Robotics Fax modem and Cisco ASA

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone successfully configured a fax modem for remote console of a Cisco device? I found a Cisco doc on how to configure it, but i can't get the modem to work with secure crt or hyper term. Any particular dip switch setting?

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yes that was the document i was referring to, but after i reset the modem with the dip switch setting how do i know which dip switch to set it to in order to console in to it?

As the document clearly states and instructs:-

Change DIP switches 4 and 8 to down and keep the rest as up. Then power cycle the modem.

Unplug the rolled RJ-45 cable from the RJ-45-to-DB-9 adapter of the PC and attach it to the console port of the ASA.

Turn the modem on.

Use an analog phone to verify that the phone line is active and functions. Then connect the analog phone line to the modem.

Test the modem connection by initiating an EXEC modem call to the ASA from another device (for example, a PC).

Use a terminal emulation program on the PC, such as HyperTerminal, and access the PC modem through one of the COM ports. Once you have connected to the PC modem through the COM port, initiate the dial to the ASA. For an example, refer to the Example HyperTerminal Session section of Configuring Client Modems to Work with Cisco Access Servers.

Note: The console port line does not run Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP). Hence, you cannot dial using Microsoft Windows Dialup Networking (DUN) for this connection.

Once the connection is established, press in order to obtain the prompt on the ASA.

HTH>

I'm gathering that i am suppose to console into the USR modem like i would a router and set some ini strings before i connect it to the ASA and phone lines. If so i am not able to console to the modem. I can't get past step 3 on this guide...

any ideas why i can't get the Hyper term session to connect to the USR Modem?

have you followed the instructions:-

#

Reverse Telnet from the PC to the modem.

Use a terminal emulation program on the PC, such as HyperTerminal, and access the PC modem through the COM port you connected to in step 1. Once you connect to the PC modem through the COM port, you need to apply the initialization string (see step 4). For an example, refer to the Example HyperTerminal Session section of Configuring Client Modems to Work with Cisco Access Servers.

#

Type this initialization string which writes the desired initialization string settings to NVRAM:

AT&FS0=1&C1&D2&H0&R1&B1&M4&K0&N6&W

Note: The 0s in this string are zeroes. See the Miscellaneous section of this document for information about initialization strings.

Note: You should receive an OK response from the modem. If the modem does not respond, verify that the modem hardware and cabling function correctly.

#

Enter this initialization string in order to disable Echo and result codes:

ATE0Q1&W

#

Change DIP switches 4 and 8 to down and keep the rest as up. Then power cycle the modem.

#

Unplug the rolled RJ-45 cable from the RJ-45-to-DB-9 adapter of the PC and attach it to the console port of the ASA.

Also refer to:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a65.shtml#example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a65.shtml

HTH>

ok. i have connected the modem to my PC, and used hyper term to TRY to connect to the modem but i can't connect through the console port. I am using COM1 and 9600 bps. i have also tried 115200 bps. So my console session never starts with the modem. i am using a db 25 to rj45 connector with a cisco db9 to rj45 satin console cable.

then the issue could be with:-

1) The PC com port - try another PC

2) The cable - try another cable

3) The modem - try another modem

?

PC and Cable work. tried 2 different modems! crazy. maybe it's this adapter.