Views
Helpful
Replies

Vista VPN Woes

cisco-sbcsc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am using an ASA 5540 software version 7.0(4) with Cisco VPN client version 5.0.03.0530. I have a VPN group setup that works fine on XP and fine on Mac, but has major issues on Vista.

The VPN is setup so that the only traffic that gets encrypted is some DNS traffic, and some traffic to some file servers. All other traffic on the clients get bypassed.

I can confirm this on an XP box using Wireshark. If I sniff the traffic of just going to a web page, the only thing that shows up on the VPN adapter is some DNS traffic, all of the TCP traffic goes out the regular interface, and the web page loads fine. If I do the same sniff on Vista, the TCP SYNs go out of the VPN adapter, and it never gets a reply, and the web page never loads. All of the route details are exactly the same on the Vista box as they are on the XP box, I have no idea what is causing it to act different.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert

The symptoms sound like it might be some difference about setup of split tunneling. Can you post the details of the split tunneling configuration of both machines?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

The split tunnel values are setup on the Firewall as an ACL in the group policy. The ACL is:

standard permit host FileServer_1

standard permit host FileServer_2

standard permit host FileServer_3

standard permit host FileServer_4

standard permit host DNSServer_1

standard permit host DNSServer_2

When I go to Status-> Statistics -> Route Details on both the XP Client and the Vista client they both have the same values for the Secured Routes table (that shows those 6 servers). So I am very confused as to why Vista is acting different.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: