Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client internet access

manso12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm connecting to the office with using VPN Client 5.0 on Vista SP1. A PIX 501 is on the office side. Once connected I can no longer connect to the internet. This is probably a simple issue asked a million times but I can't find any solution to it.

I'm attaching ipconfig /all from the laptop. It believe it has to do with the default gateway but changing it to my local gateway once connected doesn't change anything.

I can connect to the intranet and everything else in the remote office network but can't connect to any public network/site. Once I disconnect it works again.

Many thanks in advance!

Manso

7 Replies 7

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

You should confirm that your pool is configured to provide you with a DNS server address, and that your pool is permitted out of the firewall.

You could also look at split tunnelling and split dns. This will mean that you will only go through the tunnel to reach the specified subnets on your LAN (inside the firewall), and anything out on the internet or on your local end will not traverse the tunnel and will go out through your normal gateway.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/basclnt.html#wp1062726

Hope this helps

Martin

v1inc3ntn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Manso,

Once you connect, run nslookup on your host to confirm that you are gateway is giving you DNS server ip's. You should recognise the IP's as your internal DNS servers. Once this is done confirm that your gateway is configured for split DNS.

FYI Cisco VPN cleint 5.0.03 has a problem with obtaining DNS IP information. Ensure that you use vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.01.0600-k9.

I would first make sure that I have the above mentioned client installed before going to extreme.....

Regards,

Vincent

You need to configure Split tunneling on the ASA or will it work with just split DNS and a ACL that apply to outgoing traffic from the SSLVPN pool? I have made a config with split tunneling, but never tried with just split dns. Interesting.

Regards

JanCB

In my case I have created a seperate a Split tunnel and have permitted acces via my ACL to my internal network. My VPN has it's own private class C network. I found it easier to work with a seperte network. In order for the DNS to obtain your internal DNS information your ACL must be set. Just keep in mind, even with a perfect config on your VPN device, if you are running VISTA and Cisco client .3 instead of the .1 version, the DNS will not work!!!! Refer to my previous post! When I installed the lastest version of the Cisco VPN client I could not understand what was going on!!! It took me a few minutes to figure it out but I got it to work! I would suggest testing your config with a client that you know can do the tasks you have set out to do.

Regards,

Vincent

v1inc3ntn
Level 1
Level 1

Manso, can you confirm that you are running VPN client 5.0.01.0600 and not 5.0.03.0530.

If you are running 5.0.3 you will have problems!!!

Hi,

Sorry for not replying earlier and thanks for all your help.

I have now downgraded to 5.0.01.0600 and I'm still experiencing problems with default gateway. Below is ipconfig for the vpn adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mydomain.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cisco Systems VPN Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-9A-3C-78-00

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2884:7a6a:7449:cbee%17(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.63(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.30

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

As you can see the gateway is blank. This is ipconfig for my network card:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-C9-D7-B3

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::34eb:f2c:5b0:9aa%9(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.40(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I don't have access to the PIX right now and think it's a "local" issue as we have been running this for years with many laptops connecting remotely. My last Vista box could connect (which was upgraded from XP). This is a clean install.

All suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,

Manso

Can you specify 'problems'?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: