Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN soley over a DSL dial backup

wjackson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to see if the following scenario is possible and if so what topics I should be looking at:

A remote subnet that is normally connected via leased circuit and IGP.

When leased circuit fails I have a DSL which Dials the local ISP.

When using the ISP connection I would like to automatically establish a VPN tunnel over the dialup link to a router with a permanent connection to the Internet.

I do not wish to use the VPN over the leased line.

Is this feasible?

1 Reply 1

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can create a IPSEC tunnel over the DSL backup link between the locations when the primary connection (leased line) goes down.

You need to do the necessary IPSEC configs and apply the crypto map under the dialer interface which you use to dial out for the DSL Connection.

Pls do take care of encrypting the required interesting traffic rather encrypting all default traffic passing through the dialer interface(DSL link).

once you are done with the ipsec config do create a static route with some metric attached to it

This route will act as a secondary route and will come into act once the primary route through the leased line goes off when the leased line goes down.

if you need more info on the same do post out your current config here..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: