cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC G.703 Card, Protocol Down

ananddiwakar
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2600XM router fitted with NM-2W. There is a wic in slot 0 and a VWIC2-2MFT-G.703 card in slot 1. I have configured both the ports on this card. One of the ports is working perfectly but when I connect a line to another port, it shows

"Interface is up, Line protocol is down"

Controllers and interfaces for both the ports are configured identically.

Here is the config

card type e1 1 1

controller e1 1/2

framing no-crc4

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

controller e1 1/3

framing no-crc4

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

interface serial 1/2:0

bandwidth 1984

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx

interface serial 1/3:0

bandwidth 1984

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx

This config works perfectly for 1/3 but the link on 1/2 does not work. If we do shut/no shut on the interface, the link comes up/up but line protocol goes down after 10-15 secs. Also, I noticed that all kind of errors like input errors, codes, frame, overruns keep increasing very rapidly and also router cpu utilization goes up considerably

The same link, when connected to a modem works perfectly fine.

Keepalives are set for 10 sec

If anybody has any idea about this, please let me know

Best Regards,

Anand P. Diwakar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi

AFAIK end to end configs shuld be identical either shuld be in framed mode or in unframed mode.

so pls make unframed on both the ends and check for the same..

regds

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Any specific reason for using here in Framed mode on both the links ??

Since you have checked up with an external modem i feel there shuldnt be any problem with the link.

If you have seen the datasheet for this module theres a note mentioned by cisco that if you are going for a channel group configuration then you can make use of one port instead of 2 here..

(Note: when choosing this mode only a single port can be supported in each WIC slot.)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b9c.html

is it possible for u to bring them in normal unframed mode and check the links ?

regds

Hie Premkumar,

Thanks for your response. The module I am using is VWIC2-2MFT-G703. This is second generation module. I searched for the data sheet for these modules. Here is the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

This datasheet does not mention the restriction for channel group configuration. This has confused me further ;-)

Can you have a look at this and found any clues. Also, all the while interface remains up but line protocol goes down

Hi

It does says the same under DATA Solutions 1

The Cisco MFT VWIC2 cards also support a channelized capability where the T1 or E1 service can be flexibly split into two or more fractional channel groups. Thus a single physical port can provide connection to multiple sites. (Note: If this mode is chosen, only a single port can be supported in each WIC slot.)

regds

Ok,

So I will do this today. Just one doubt, if I am putting "channel-group 0 unframed" on one end, do I have to do the same on other end as well

hi

AFAIK end to end configs shuld be identical either shuld be in framed mode or in unframed mode.

so pls make unframed on both the ends and check for the same..

regds

Hie Premkumar,

Thanks for the help. This resolved the issue. For now I have kept one port in framed mode and have moved other in unframed mode. Both are working fine

Hi Anand

Good to hear that your problem is resolved :-)

regds