cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

yet another 831 question

susan.brady
Level 1
Level 1

I have a newly purchased 831 router and either I've screwed up the configuration, or it is faulty.

Yesterday, I was able to get to it using the 10.10.10.1 IP. I tried to set it up to connect to my DSL (via a DSL modem in Bridge Ethernet mode).

I was never able to get this to work.

Today, I can no longer connect to the thing using an IP address.

I connected using the console cable and issued a "write erase" command. It said the nvram was erased successfully.

I still can't connect using the 10.10.10.1 IP. I thought the "write erase" command set it back to the factory defaults?

My laptop is configured this way:

IP 10.10.10.2

Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 10.10.10.1

I know the DSL connection is good, because my el-cheapo LinkSys works correctly when I swap it out for the 831.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

conf t

int ethernet0

no shutdown

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

exit

copy run start

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Paresh -

I had just figured that out about 10 minutes before I got your response. But you were exactly right.

I guess I figured that since it had been configured correctly with the basic 10.10.10.1 network stuff when I got it out of the box, that doing a "write erase" would restore it to the factory defaults, when, in fact, it does exactly what it says - and erases everything!

Thanks again for the quick response ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: