Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV130W Site-to-Site VPN slow performance

peter.g.kovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I replaced my old SRP521 router to a RV130W, but the IPSec tunnel performance degrades from ~5MB/sec to 1,3MB/sec, CPU usage is 100% during copying from ftp/samba server. So for me it shows that's a CPU limitation..

The other end of the tunnel is still SRP521 router.

I have tried the tunnel with several settings (DES/3DES/AES...), changed the DH algorythm, but the performace did not changed significant, CPU usage still in 100%. Firmware is the newest, 1.0.1.3.

The RV130's data sheet contain IPSec throughput as 50Mps.

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies 4

Zardoz_Byte
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue but with PPTP VPN. CPU usage below 15% and 70 MB RAM free. Total bandwidth around 1Mbit. With software VPN I can get the maximum bandwidth the ISP offers. It is descouraging, cisco SAT do not know what can cause this anomaly.

jasonpiitz
Level 1
Level 1

i am having this problem to. I like this router, and this is the only one i have deployed that has this issue. I'm not sure if its network traffic doing this. I wonder if the server team is generating problems causing this. Not sure where to start.

Hello Jason, do you see any log entries? has this been the problem all along or did this just start?

i installed it at a remote location about 1 year ago (I have no control over the Host site, or the desktop/ server environment). i do pptp vpns to this so remote (SOHO) voip agents can access a call server behind this router. one agent for a 3 hour period every night to cover off west coast callers. I've been chasing this for about 9 months all the while thinking i had a VoIP issue

then i noticed it was the VPN coming down on the router, because the router was resetting its WAN interface

users in the remote office never noticed, because it would recover quickly but the vpn and voip didn't like the momentary interruption

i'll try and attach a screen capture of the log file

jp