Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco router dns registration

aviyoshi10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

is anybody knows if a cisco router can auto register with a dns server when it comes up ?

thanks,

3 Replies 3

jonathanaxford
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Avi,

I have previously read about Dynamic DNS registration for IOS in the following article:

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_configuring_dynamic_dns_in_cisco_ios.htm

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for? If you want the router to automatically register with a Windows DNS server, I am not sure that it is possible?

Will the IP address on the interface you wish to have in DNS be changing a lot? Is that why you need the device to automatically update?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Hi,

yea, i do need the router to automatically register with a Windows DNS server. i am familer with DDNS, this feature is not what i am looking for.

I have never done this before, but one thing you could possibly do is allocate your router interfaces an IP address via DHCP and use the DHCP server to register the IP address in DNS.

If you are using Windows DHCP to, you could create reservations for all of your interfaces in DHCP (To ensure that they aer always assigned the same IP address) and then copnfigure the DHCP Server to register DNS on the clients behalf.

Many thanks

Jonathan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card