Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying/installing IOS-XE through ROMMON

TCPuniverse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi;

one of my routers in my lab (ISR 4331 - IOS-XE SD-WAN image 16.10.1) crashed so it keeps rebooting after showing the some error messages, one of which is:

cisco isr 4331 %PMAN-0-PROCFAILCRIT: R0/0: pvp: A critical process viptela_start_sh has failed (rc 1)

%PMAN-5-EXITACTION: R0/0: pvp:

So decided to go to rommon to restore the image to see if that resolves the problem. As I did several times before on ISR 28xx and 2900, as well as other older platform, I entered these commands:

rommon 7 > IP_ADDRESS=172.16.1.10
rommon 8 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
rommon 9 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=172.16.1.1
rommon 10 > TFTP_SERVER=172.16.1.11
rommon 11 > TFTP_FILE=isr4300-ucmk9.16.12.2r.SPA.bin

rommon 12 > set

Then tried to use "tftpdnld" command on rommon to copy new image to the bootflash but there was no command like that, although after issuing above commands, I temporarily could ping the router's mgmt interface from my PC (temporarily, because it kept rebooting before entring CLI).

I searched the Internet, but I didn't find anything explaining copying files to the ISR 4000 bootflash through rommon or even delete some. Is there any way to copy images to the ISR 4000 series router and install them while being in the rommon environment?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you're doing this in ROMMON then you have physical access to the box.
Do you the USB ports on the router? You can force the router (from ROMMON) to boot off the IOS from the USB port using the command "boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin".

Thanks for the reply. Actually I knew that method, but wanted to know if there were commands for file management (deleting/copying) in the ROMMON, as we have "tftpdnld" and "copy" commands in ROMMON of the older routers. Also my router accepts "boot usb0:IOS_filename.bin" command, instead of the "usbflash0". 

thank you.

I am having the same issue. Deleted the old .bin file out of the flash and now it is stuck in Rommon. But the USB ports are disabled I tried all do the usbflash commands and nothing. Is my only option to tftp a new .bin file? Or is there a way to re-enable the usb ports. They were working before it was put into Rommon mode

@Christianb4011 wrote:
But the USB ports are disabled

Post the complete ROMMON output to the command "set".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card