Views
Helpful
Replies

(Lite) DHCP Failover on IOS

Arturo Bianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

To increase the availability of the network would like to combine a backup to the primary DHCP; it is essential that when the main server is operational, all the requests are provided by this, among other things with a tight integration with the DNS server (the names of the different PC are stored in a subdomain). Only in extreme cases (server down) I would allow them to respond to requests from a DHCP server running on the border router however, in order to make Internet accessible to PCs that are networked.

There is a good configuration for IP-based IOS allows me to get what you want? In this case, no matter the names in the DNS record also because the server is down :-(

Thanks.

Arturo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arturo,

what you would like to achieve is not an easy task: a router can be configured to act as a DHCP relay or as a DHCP server or both, but in the latter case the router would compete with the main DHCP server.

Ideally, this kind of things would require the use of a EEM TCL script that should react to the failure of a test on main DHCP server reachability by modifying the configuration of the router to add the DHCP pool.

A simpler solution may be provided by the use of a secondary DHCP server running on a workstation: the router could be configured to perform DHCP relay agent function for both servers and this is achieved by simply having two ip helper-address command on L3 interfaces facing clients.

_The secondary server should be configured to wait some time before answering the received DHCP requests, in this way it would play a role only when the primary DHCP server fails.

Clearly this solution would lack a way to pass DHCP leases between servers so the lite DHCP failover.

Some DHCP servers can be deployed in a clustered mode, for example Cisco network registrar I have seen are able to do this and to have a primary DHCP server per IP subnet.

I guess some other DHCP SW also open source can do this but I haven't direct experience of this.

Between two cisco network devices they can share a DHCP lease database hosted on an external file server (TFP or FTP)

ip dhcp database this is used also by DHCP snooping feature on multilayer switches.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_dhc1.html#wp1016399

Edit:

another useful command to have the router DHCP to wait long time should be the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_dhc2.html#wp1052493

ip dhcp-server query lease {retries number | timeout seconds}

by using the timeout 60 option the router should wait 60 seconds before answering giving time to primary DHCP server to answer before it.

This may provide a simple solution clearly without state exchange.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arturo,

what you would like to achieve is not an easy task: a router can be configured to act as a DHCP relay or as a DHCP server or both, but in the latter case the router would compete with the main DHCP server.

Ideally, this kind of things would require the use of a EEM TCL script that should react to the failure of a test on main DHCP server reachability by modifying the configuration of the router to add the DHCP pool.

A simpler solution may be provided by the use of a secondary DHCP server running on a workstation: the router could be configured to perform DHCP relay agent function for both servers and this is achieved by simply having two ip helper-address command on L3 interfaces facing clients.

_The secondary server should be configured to wait some time before answering the received DHCP requests, in this way it would play a role only when the primary DHCP server fails.

Clearly this solution would lack a way to pass DHCP leases between servers so the lite DHCP failover.

Some DHCP servers can be deployed in a clustered mode, for example Cisco network registrar I have seen are able to do this and to have a primary DHCP server per IP subnet.

I guess some other DHCP SW also open source can do this but I haven't direct experience of this.

Between two cisco network devices they can share a DHCP lease database hosted on an external file server (TFP or FTP)

ip dhcp database this is used also by DHCP snooping feature on multilayer switches.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_dhc1.html#wp1016399

Edit:

another useful command to have the router DHCP to wait long time should be the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_dhc2.html#wp1052493

ip dhcp-server query lease {retries number | timeout seconds}

by using the timeout 60 option the router should wait 60 seconds before answering giving time to primary DHCP server to answer before it.

This may provide a simple solution clearly without state exchange.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Fantastisco Giuseppe :-)

Did you read my mind...

...not actually needed something from high resiliency and availability, but a lifesaver, not to completely block the operation in an SBCS or SOHO environment where there is only one server with all the services, some network appliance (ASA, UC500, etc. etc.). and a border router!

Next year :-) I shall make some being achieved, it is certainly possible that I introduce a point of confusion in the network with two server not synchronized, but worth a try because in the end, sometimes experience strange incidents that do not allow me to do remote assistance (the Customer does not turn on the server!!!).

Happy new Year to You & to all CSC Followers.

Arturo.

Hi,

I did not want to wait a year to see if I could use the command!!!

When you say luck... ...I started by one of several Cisco 837 deployed in time but the line configuration can not be inserted. I immediately opened the document to see the version in which it was introduced, and is the 12.3(14)T. I did a check between some routers and at least the Cisco 837 deployed does not go beyond the version 12.3(2)XE3 :-( at least in those cases I will need an alternative or at least will need to upgrade the IOS (hoping not to have space problems in the flash).

Happy New Year to all CSC Followers.

Arturo.

Happy New Year to all CSC Followers.

Arturo.

Happy new year Arturo! Remember, when you deal with the best, you can only expect the best

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card