Views
Helpful
Replies

Modifying traffic to take least preferred route

ayokunles
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have a challenge..I have many remote branches with dual links back to HQ.

From analysis, Email traffic takes almost 50% of the bandwidth, the option i want to take is modifying the traffic to take the least preferred route to the remote branches.

I am not sure on how to go about it....route maps would have been easy but that means i would have to create route-maps for every location, i want to do this globally.

please help.

thanks guys in advance.

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PBR seems to be the most feasible solution but every location must be modified to work effectively.

Hi,

Rather than having an organization wide configuration change, i would suggest you try other ways to mitigate traffic congestion.

I would suggest you to implement QOS to limit mail traffic to a certain amount on the WAN interface of HQ routers.

This way you will only have to make the config change on HQ routers.

Still if you want to force the packets to take least preffered path PBR is one of the options as suggested by Edison.

If you provide details about your network , more options could surface. Please share the network topology with WAN protocol information.

Please rate helpful posts,

Warm Regards

Ameya Oke

Hi Ameya,

Many thanks for your response.

However, QOS would have been useful, but the real type of QOS I would want to use is not applicable because of the kind of EDGE router that I am using, we use 7604; all our remote sites are connected via GRE tunnels from the 7604 routers, and the only QOS configurations that would be permitted on the tunnels is policing which is quite effective but has a downside to it, most remote users get delayed emails, unfortunately in my country, bandwidth doesn't come cheap.  so most of the links are less than T1.  That's why i would prefer routing it through the other link.

thanks all the same.

Hi,

maybe you could use this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8787/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card