cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Internet download quotas on a Router

ChasNottFR
Level 1
Level 1

We are unable to obtain Broadband via a landline. Therefore we are putting in place a 2 way satellite solution with a satellite modem and router.

I have both our family accessing this Internet connection and visitors to our holiday homes who will access via WiFi access points connected to the LAN.

The satellite provider will provide a basic router (Linksys WRT54GC-FR) with their package. I am looking to buy a better router to control the amount of download & upload MB per IP address per period (day/week) and restrict bandwidth.

I don't want a computer to control this. I want the router to do it.

My family will be on fixed IP addresses up to say .10. The visitors will be on DHCP 11 -99. This will enable me to give different download amounts for individual family members (on their fixed IP addresses) and the visitor community.

Can anyone recommend a Cisco router that can do this?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you cannot do quota per /user/time with a cisco router.

You can limit bandwidth, but not really for download, because that has to be controlled from the headend router.

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you want to controll B/W per ip address, then buying a packet shaper is other solution.

Regards,

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry to be at a low level but what is a packet shaper?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card