cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sh arp on router

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

i want to know that what show arp ip address command shows on the router.

if some one can explain we the output

of this command

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Within a LAN, devices communicate with mac-address. IP to Mac-add conversion is done by ARP.

Sh arp ip add tells whether the device is aware of any machine with such IP add & reflects its mac-add.

View solution in original post

rajinikanth
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

the output of sh ip arp on router looks like this

Protocol|Address|Age(min)|MAC|Type|Interface

IP |10.4.1.3|2|xxxx.xxxx.xxxx|arpa|fa 0/0

the above example tells me how to reach 10.4.1.3 host i need to go through fa 0/0 on router interface.(this interface might be the link to a switch) to get exact port on which the host is connected u can use the

sh mac-address-table command on switch and compare the mac address corresponding to the IP 10.4.1.3 and u can then find the corresponding port for that host.

HTH

Thanks

Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Within a LAN, devices communicate with mac-address. IP to Mac-add conversion is done by ARP.

Sh arp ip add tells whether the device is aware of any machine with such IP add & reflects its mac-add.

rajinikanth
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

the output of sh ip arp on router looks like this

Protocol|Address|Age(min)|MAC|Type|Interface

IP |10.4.1.3|2|xxxx.xxxx.xxxx|arpa|fa 0/0

the above example tells me how to reach 10.4.1.3 host i need to go through fa 0/0 on router interface.(this interface might be the link to a switch) to get exact port on which the host is connected u can use the

sh mac-address-table command on switch and compare the mac address corresponding to the IP 10.4.1.3 and u can then find the corresponding port for that host.

HTH

Thanks

Raj

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card