Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Configuration

cisco.plus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We are moving to Virtual enviornment using Microsoft HyperV, seeking help for best practise configuration for Trunk ports between Blade Switches and Core. Also looking for advice on configuring Backup Network to take backup of Virtual Machine. Attached is the topology with new HYPERV Setup. Each HyperV Server will have 3 to 4 VM running on different vlans. Here is our configuration

Cisco Catalyst 4500 acts as Core / Distribution, trunk configuration between 4500 & Blade switches -

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 17,18,19,20

spanning-tree portfast trunk

Vlan 17 = users

Vlan 18 = Windows Server

Vlan 19 = SQL Server

Vlan 20 = Veritas_Backup Server

Hope some quick help

Best Wishes

CP

7 Replies 7

Hi CP,

I think config which you have pasted is good enough.

If you want high availibility, add one more link between your blade switches.

Rest Spanning-tree will take care of by default.

If you want more control over spanning-tree, make your core switch as root; by adding keyword primary in spanning tree config, and rest all will be in place.

HTH,

Smitesh

Hello Smitesh, thanks for your kind input. For High availability / increase performance I need to bundle the interfaces to get 2Gig pipe. what config is required to get this done. I got 2 Blade Switches and 1 Core 4500

On 4500 Core G5/1 ------connects----------G0/10 ( Blade_SW_1 )

On 4500 Core G5/2 ------connects----------G0/11 ( Blade_SW_1 )

On 4500 Core G5/11 ------connects----------G0/11 ( Blade_SW_1 )

On 4500 Core G5/12 ------connects----------G0/12 ( Blade_SW_1 )

Best Wishes

CP

Hi CP,

What you are saying to bundle to Gig interface is called port-channel.

However, what I was suggesting was to add a link between your two blade switches and make it trunk port.

HTH,

Smitesh

Hello Smitesh, I get your point. I would configure trunkports between the blade switches.

To configure Ether-Channel, is this ok

On Catalyst Switch 4500

int ra gi 5/1 - 2

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 1 mode active

On Blade Switch

int ra gi 0/10 - 11

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 1 mode active

EtherChannel can be configured as Layer2 or Layer3, which one is recommended.

Best Wishes

CP

Hi,

if you bundle L2 ports then your etherchannel will be L2 and if you bundle L3 ports then it will be L3.

But the links must be configured the same on both ends and I don't know how you could make your L2 ports on the blade as L3 so I'll think you'll have to stick with L2 etherchannel.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Alain, thanks for replying. I agree the configuration should be same on both ends. The Blade switch supports L2 & L3 (cisco catalyst blade switch 3020), Maybe its more clear if you look at the topology diagram in the inital post. I was trying to get the answer what pros/cons for using L2 Vs L3 Etherchannel. 

If two NIC cards on Server are teamed what config I need on the switch end. considering port G0/23 & G0/24 are connected to NIC1 & NIC 2 of the same server

Best Wishes

CP

Hi CP,

As per your requirements, I would say L2 ether-channel will suit your needs.

Regards,

Smitesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card