Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS and HSRP

Hello,

I read that if you use VSS you dont need to use HSRP anymore. I thought HSRP with load balancing should be similar to VSS, for example if I have a server with two nics and each nic connect to a core switch then both core are fowarding traffic and also would an access switch connected to both core switches running HSRP load balancing foward traffic how is that different from VSS, can someone clears this up with the server and access switch scenario I gave with HSRP and VSS advantages and redudancy?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

VSS functions as a single device (similar to a 2960 or 3750 stack [of two]).

To leverage load balancing with VSS, you'll want a link to each VSS member.  As the VSS pair functions as a single device, the link to each VSS member is normally either a different L3 network or Etherchannel (if L2 without Etherchannel, you'll have a L2 loop).

prashsin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello horacio27

As Joseph mentioned VSS bundle acts like a single logical device like a 3750 stack. L2 decisions are taken by each switch however Routing is centrally managed.

Since you are talking about 2 servers connected to VSS pair on different physical switches, are these connected ports in different L2/L3 Vlans? If not then there is no need of HSRP because there will be just 1 L3 Vlan (SVI)

Regards

Prashant

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card