Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

11xx able to handle multiple SSID's and encryption?

Has anyone configured a 11xx series AP with 3 SSID? and more importantly can I have 1 SSID WEP and the others WPA? I have a client that wants to use VoIP phones that only support WEP, but I would like the guest and LAN SSID VLAN to use WPA...

Any comments welcome,

Chris Serafin

chris@chrisserafin.com

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 11xx able to handle multiple SSID's and encryption?

Hi Chris

Since WEP and WPA uses uses different encryption standards, it would not be possible to configure 2 different SSID's on the same AP with different encyrptions on them. Reason is that whatever encyrption you apply on the AP, applies to the radio inteface not to a specific SSID. BUT you can always uses VLAN's on the AP (if you have VLAN's configured on the switch) and then you will find the option to configure a different encryption for a every VLAN and further you can map those VLAN's to your respective SSID's.

In your scenario, you can configure 3 VLAN's on the AP and map them to 3 different SSID's and then configure WEP on one VLAN for VOIP phones and configure WPA on other 2 VLAN's for your guest users.

Hope the above information helps.

Basant

Re: 11xx able to handle multiple SSID's and encryption?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content