cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1231 LWAPP won't join primary controller

jwright
Level 1
Level 1

I have a converted IOS to LWAPP 1231 AP that I am trying to change the primary controller. We have three controllers DCWLC1, DCWLC2 and DCWLC3. The primary for this particular location is 2. The AP is on a different layer 3 network and I have Option 43 in DHCP and cisco-lwapp-controller defined in DNS. The AP will only join DCWLC1 and ignores whatever is configured via WCS. Any help is appreciated.

13 Replies 13

jwright
Level 1
Level 1

I should add that the SSC that was generated is on all of the controllers.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

remove the DNS entry, and reboot the AP. See if it will then join the other controller.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I will give this a try, but what is the thinking behind this? I thought the APs use the DNS entry and option 43 to create a list of available controllers with which it can associate. The controller defined in DNS is the Master controller. 1242 APs do not have this problem.

What is supposed to happen, is after the AP joins, you go in and set it's primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers. On boot is should read it's local config first and go to those controllers, if it can't find them, then it goes to DNS, if it can't find that then it broadcasts, if it can't find that,then it tries Over The Air Provisioning, OTAP. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but I have seen some issues with the DNS entry being there after the initial config of the AP.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Go into the controler that the AP connects to and locate the AP. Under its settings you should see clear config. Pick this option then reset the AP.

What is the WLC model and firmware ? Outdated model and old firmware do not support SSC.

Hope this helps.

They are 4400 series controllers with software version 3.2.116.21. I have tried resetting/clearing the config through WCS with no luck. Software running on the APs is 12.3(7)JX3. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but I thought that the APs use broadcasts (if on same subnet), then looks at previously joined controllers, then OTAP, then Option 43 entries, and finally the DNS entry to build a list of controllers with which it can associate.

What I am unsure about is whether or not the controller that is configured as primary has to have been seen during this process. It should be since it is configured via Option 43. I wonder if I am looking at some sort of bug since the 1242s don't seem to have the issue.

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

That is weird to me. The AP should join the primary controller as long as the controller is in the available controllers list of AP. AP build that list during boot from DHCP option 43, DNS, OTAP... I would suggest following steps to see if you can get some useful clue:

1. On the AP console, use "show lwapp client config" to see if the primary controller config has been successfull pushed to the AP.

2. On the AP and primary controller, use "debug lwapp client event" to see if the AP tried to join primary controller and if there are errors about join process?

3. Definitelly AP should be able to ping primary controller.

We have bunch of 1131 APs and they all worked fine when we set primary controller for them.

Zhenning

I agree, it is weird. I will try 1 and 2. I've already tried 3 of course and there are no problems there.

Please try to upgrade th firmware to the latest one, 4.0.1.55, it does help in SSC issue.

Please advise the result if you wan uprade the firmware.

Hope this helps.

I can't because of the following:

CSCse60203 LWAPP APs 1230 fail to upgrade to 4.0.155.0 image.

Hi Jim/Guys...

Just thought I would add that a new Release for the WLC came out on August 22/06 (4.0.179.8 ), also there is a workaround for CSCse60203 using 12.3(11)JX and the new upgrade tool 2.1

Release Notes for Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers and Lightweight Access Points for Release 4.0.179.8

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_release_note09186a00807156db.html#wp118503

Hope this helps!

Rob

After I checked the bug and found it is the problem of the WLC not able to upgrade the AP image. So you have to fallback to autonomous IOS then use upgrade tool to upgrade to the latest LWAPP image.

Check below for the procdeure :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html

BTW, what LWAPP image ver. are you using ?

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card