Views
Helpful
Replies

1242AG-A-K9 AP's not registering to WLC 4402

caymil
Level 1
Level 1

Was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue:

Currently have a WLC4402 installed with 21 AP's reporting to it. The controller is running at LWAPP3 with version 3.2.116.21.

The WLC was purchased prior to Cisco buying Air-e-space, and has a 36 AP license.

When attempting to install additional 1242AG-A-K9 ap's, the controller will not acknowledge them. I have verified the LAN confiuration as correct, and working properly.

Is this due to a licensing issue, or something else?

Any help on this subject is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

First off, check the full part number to ensure that these 1242's are setup for LWAPP not IOS;

AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is a Cisco IOS Software-based AP.

AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an LWAPP-based AP.

Here are some troubleshooting docs that may help get you started with this, and show you some debug logs to provide us for further help;

Lightweight AP (LAP) Registration to a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Troubleshoot FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a008064a991.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the link info. Saved me a lot of time & headache. Found out that the AP's we want to add are AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9's. They will only work with the WLC 4400 & 2000 series controllers.

The controllers currently installed on our LAN are 4100 series(not the 4402 as mentioned previously). Will change out the 1242AP's added to AP1010's and see if they work with controllers.

Once again, thanks for the info. It was greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Chris

We have a similar situation, where our two AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 AP's are not registering to the 2106 WLC. The AP's have successfully obtained the DHCP addresses, however do not seem to be sending discovery request messages to the WLC. What to look next at?

Thanks..

what messages do you get on the console during the discovery/join process at bootup?

Hi Greg,

Did you successfully perform the IOS to LWAPP upgrade on these AP's?

Rob

That's where the problem lied - appreciate the response..

edgar_pascal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear,

i just buy 1242AG-E-K9 10 ea, i can't reg all new AP's  to my WLC4400-100 ver 41.185.0.

can any one have solution for this problem?

Currently i used 23 AP's

Regards,

Edgar

4.1.185.0 suuports 1240s

since those are -E- Aps it means you are located in Europe an you are being regulated by ETSI

What country did you setup on the WLC?

Can you please attach the show run-config from the ap?

Are you using LAG? etherchannel?

What is the discovery method?

Are APs getting an IP address and do these know what is the management ip addressfrom the WLC?

Hi Edgar,

Power off the problematic AP.  Connect the console cable to the AP and power up the AP in question.  Post everything.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card