Views
Helpful
Replies

1552 AP act like a switch ?

muresan.andrei
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I know that a 1552 AP has 4 Ethernet ports. Does anyone know if is possible to use them as some standard switch ports? If I connect two ore more devices to these ports do i have connectivity between them?

Thank you,

Andrei

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it doesn't... those ports a specific to poe-in, poe-out and ethernet backhaul.

The access point PoE-out (10/100/1000BASE-T) port uses an RJ-45 connector to provide LAN connectivity and IEEE 802.3af power to a single peripheral customer device, such as a camera or sensor gateway. The PoE-out port should not be connected to a switch or hub. The Ethernet MAC addresses are printed on the bottom of the access point under the LEDs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/installation/guide/1550_ch1.html#wp1107731

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it doesn't... those ports a specific to poe-in, poe-out and ethernet backhaul.

The access point PoE-out (10/100/1000BASE-T) port uses an RJ-45 connector to provide LAN connectivity and IEEE 802.3af power to a single peripheral customer device, such as a camera or sensor gateway. The PoE-out port should not be connected to a switch or hub. The Ethernet MAC addresses are printed on the bottom of the access point under the LEDs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/installation/guide/1550_ch1.html#wp1107731

-Scott

Hi guys.

Maybe you know what is the maximum PoE-out port power output? I got a question is it possible to use this PoE port and feed indoor Cisco AP, not a camera

we connect networked solar controllers to our 1524 lan interfaces. as long as they are on the same vlan as the ap - you can reach them.

another oprtion is always the 1310. i know they are eol, but if you can get you hand on one  - you can always ulink them to a rap or map and put a switch behind them...

Hmmm this sounds like the Matt F i know .. u the Matt F FMI ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

i know not of who you speak of, but he sounds like a great, great man...

Matt -- Welcome to CSC .. Good feedback! +5

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Do you know how many power (in watts) your solar controllers consume?

You can power up any 802.1af device as long as the 1550 isn't being powered up by PoE. If it is being powered up by PoE, then the PoW-Out is disabled.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott! I was waiting for your answer !

But in this non-traditional and non-best-practices deployment ( I need to connect AP2600 to AP1552 PoE-out port), will my AP2600 form CAPWAP tunnel with WLC? AP1552 will act as a bridge/proxy in this scenario? I can't remember what configurations we can apply to this PoE-out port.

Is it possible to connect a switch?

The problem is that AP1552 is configured as MESH AP, but we need to place another AP inside the building and no fiber/ethernet connection there.

Well... I don't know about that because when you enable Ethernet bridging, you specify the vlan that the device AP will be placed on and it can't be on the same vlan as the mesh AP. then on the RAP you need to configure a trunk port and the device that you connect onto that Ethernet port will be placed on that vlan on the trunk port and does not get tunneled back to the WLC. Will a lightweight AP be able to join and function properly... I don't know, but an autonomous AP would. I guess I could test it out with an indoor AP and see as that would be the same. I wouldn't be able to test until later.

-Scott

I understand. I think other problems with CAPWAP tunnel will appear if there is some delay on the mesh backhaul.

Thanks a lot Scott!

Well if it did work, then why not use FlexConnect:)

Why would you want to connect an AP though to the mesh since you would already have client access on them?

-Scott

There is an existing MESH network with 6 x 1552 AP's ,but inside the buildings, mobile phones are not able to connect and use wireless service.

Ah so if the other building has a RAP, you can bridge across and then connect that to a switch and then add APs to that switch.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: