Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

1841+HWIC-AP-AG: second time macro (with ssid command) invoked crashes router

consider the following scenario in which I have one Dot11Radio on which I want to access two non-related WiFi networks:

- each network (let's call them whatever1 and whatever2) have their own particular settings; eg: different IP networks, antenna settings, and the like

- following you can see 2 macros in which I place all related settings for each network (SSID):

interface Dot11Radio 0/1/0

station-role non-root ... ie: universal client mode

exit

dot11 ssid whatever1

authentication open

exit

dot11 ssid whatever2

authentication open

exit

macro name configureRadioForSSID1

# reconfiguring the radio interface as needed for SSID#1:

shutdown

ip address 192.168.1.99 255.255.255.0

# ssid whatever1 ... note that this line is currently disabled

no shutdown

exit

@

macro name configureRadioForSSID2

# reconfiguring the radio interface as needed for SSID#2:

shutdown

ip address 192.168.2.99 255.255.255.0

# ssid whatever2 ... note that this line is currently disabled

no shutdown

exit

@

alias configure setRadioToSSID1 macro global trace configureRadioForSSID1

alias configure setRadioToSSID2 macro global trace configureRadioForSSID2

if I run: setRadioToSSID1 ... everything works as expected

if I run: setRadioToSSID2 ... everything works as expected

when I enable the previously disabled lines in the macros; ie: ssid whatever1 and ssid whatever2

if I run: setRadioToSSID1 ... everything works as expected

if I run: setRadioToSSID2 ... the router calls the macro ... RECURSIVELY and hangs after a while no matter what I do

I can change every other line on the macros but if the ssid command is present the second time it is invoked: bang !

I have to restart the router; nothing else can be done

router is C1841 with HWIC-AP-AG running 12.4(15)T16

please; advise

thanks

2 REPLIES

1841+HWIC-AP-AG: second time macro (with ssid command) invoked c

Is the issue the same if the station role is ROOT?

Is the issue the same if you try to use the command (infrastructure-ssid) umder one of the SSID that you use?

If in the macro itself you try to remove the old SSID from under the radio before assigning the new SSID will it be still the same?
I am not sure about if the model you have supports more than one SSID. Double check if it does. If it does not then you need to remove the old SSID before assigning new SSID under the radio.

i.e:

under macro configureRadioForSSID1 you should mention first:

no ssid Whatever2.

under macro configureRadioForSSID2 you should mention first:

no ssid Whatever1.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Re: 1841+HWIC-AP-AG: second time macro (with ssid command) invok

Thanks for your reply Amjad !

— Is the issue the same if the station role is ROOT?

— Is the issue the same if you try to use the command (infrastructure-ssid) umder one of the SSID that you use?

I really don't know since it is not my case.

I have no need to reconfigure/test for this scenario.

This router is used as a gateway to the internet for an internal wired LAN only -not for a wireless one.

— If in the macro itself you try to remove the old SSID from under the radio before assigning the new SSID will it be still the same?

Yes. It is the same. My fault. I forgot to place those commands here because it was late night when I was cleaning the macros (the original ones have them; they are a bit more complex but nothing relevant so for the sake of simplicity I removed all commands that were not affecting this unexpected behavior to make things more readable; ie: antenna settings, speed settings, etc)

no ssid whatever2

ssid whatever1

no ssid whatever1

ssid whatever2

by the way: do you know how can I remove current configured SSIDs for an interface without knowing beforehand what those SSIDs are ? something like no ssid (which doesn't work because it expects any given SSID -ie: they need to be removed one by one) ? ... or better yet: do you know of any way to restore any given running (modified) interface to its default state as specified on the saved config ? this would help me to remove many many lines of redundant code

— I am not sure about if the model you have supports more than one SSID. Double check if it does. If it does not then you need to remove the old SSID before assigning new SSID under the radio.

yes; it supports a lot but I use only one at any given time -I have no need to use more than one at any given time.

bottom line: every command in those macros works as expected when executed outside those macros; in practice this is the reason why I'm now writing those macros to begin with: because I'm really tired of reconfiguring this interface by hand every time I need to switch networks; all those commands I use to switch are working since 2 o 3 years ago, they never failed ... the problem seem to be the macros

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content