cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2602i lightweight to autonomous issue

DAVID BITONTI
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 2602i access point that I need to load autonomous image ap3g2-k9w7-tar.153-3.JAA.tar on to, with no WLC. I have already tried the steps from the following links...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11875096/convert-2602i-lightweight-autonomous

Each time I have tried I am hooking my laptop running tftpd32 to the Ethernet interface on the AP. I have been using 10.0.0.5/24 and/or /27 as the IP for my laptop/tftp server. When doing the steps that say assign an address to g0 I have tried both 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2/24 or /27.

I am at a loss and hoping that there is an answer out there that is specific to the 2602i that I have not found yet. Each time I go through any of the steps the connection to the tftp server times out. I have adjusted the time out setting in tftpd to 30, 45 and 100 seconds.

Thank you in advance

-Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dave,

Try to set your PC as 10.0.0.2/8 (255.0.0.0) & see if it works. Do not put 10.0.0.1 as it will be the IP assigned to AP when it reset using mode button. 

Also you need to rename your image to ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default in order this to work.make sure no firewall on your PC that block tftp. Refer this for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

An other way to get the correct image on the AP is to do it from rommon.

0. Configure IPv4 address "192.168.1.1" on your desktop / notebook LAN interface, connect the console and verify that no firewall is blocking the incoming tftp connections
1. Send the "break" signal on the console when the AP is booting so you are getting into rommon
2. Configure a static IPv4 address on the AP
ap: set IP_ADDR 192.168.1.2

3. Enable the ethernet interface on the AP
ap: ether_init

4. Start the tftp engine
ap: tftp_init

5. Download and extract the new .tar software

ap: tar -xtract tftp://192.168.1.1/ap3g2-k9wx-tar.xxxx.tar flash:

6. Set the new IOS image as boot image

ap: set BOOT flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.152-2.JA/ap3g2-k9wx-xxxx.JA

7. Let the AP boot

ap: boot

That should do the trick :)

Thank you both for you quick responses. However I have tried both of the methods suggested and still have had no luck still timing out to the tftp server. I had tried variation of both methods prior to posting. This morning on top of attempting the 2 suggestions I also tried a new cable between my laptop and AP. Each time I have tried windows firewall has been disabled and today I took it another step I even disabled my antivirus software. Still no luck.

This is the current version running on the AP now. System image file is "flash:/ap3g2-rcvk9w8-mx/ap3g2-rcvk9w8-xx".

If that matters at all.

It feels as though there is something specific to the 2602i that is missing or I cannot find searching hoping someone has something else to try.

Thanks again

Dave

The steps I posted above are especially written for the "second generation" AP's and I have used it on 2600's myself. When you configured both your local machine and the AP, is it possible to ping each other? Which tftp server are you using?

Freerk,

From the directions you sent ping is not a recognized command, however when I have tried other methods where you give Interface Gi0 an IP address no I cannot ping the tftp server. I am running tftpd32 by Ph. Jounin if there is something better I am up for the suggestion.

Steve "hide known file extensions" is uncheck on my laptop

Thank you for the all the chatter on this.

-Dave

If you give the AP an IPv4 address and enable ethernet in rommon, you should be able to ping it from your computer (or after the ping see at least an arp entry (command "arp -a" on Windows)). Could you try this?

The tftp software you are using is fine. Even if you are using wrong filenames or something like that, you should be able to contact the server from the AP and see a incoming connection.

with windows you also need to check if "Hide known file extensions" is enabled.

If it is go and turn it off (this is in folder options and is usually on by default), otherwise your filename in windows ends up being ap3g2-k9w7.tar.tar and the AP will not be able to find it.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Dave,

Try to set your PC as 10.0.0.2/8 (255.0.0.0) & see if it works. Do not put 10.0.0.1 as it will be the IP assigned to AP when it reset using mode button. 

Also you need to rename your image to ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default in order this to work.make sure no firewall on your PC that block tftp. Refer this for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

DAVID BITONTI
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for helping out on this issue. Ended up being something on my laptop was blocking the TFTP so I was able to get the image loaded using a different laptop without a corporate image on it.

interface31
Level 1
Level 1

Where i can download the image?

At Cisco you need a contract wtf

If you do not have a contract, then the only way you will find that image is by searching on the internet and or if someone that might still have that image shares it with you. A contract is required for most of devices by Cisco and or other enterprise vendors.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

interface31
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i got it, but problem is AP blinking red.

In Putty

ap:

ap: copy tftp://10.0.0.2/image.default flash:

Connection timed out

So you have the correct image and you renamed it image.default?
-Scott

yes sir

I got a problem with the connection.

When i try command set ap says

IP 10.0.0.1

But i can ping from connected laptop

Did you follow the guide? The guide goes through setting up your pc with a static address since you will be connected directly to the ap. Also you need to make sure that your firewall is turned off and that your tftp server is setup right.
If you still have issues, take some screen shots which would help us see if you missed something.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card