Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3500 Series APs cant find 4402 WLC

I have a 4402 Wireless controller (specifically, an AIR-WLC4402-25-K9), and about a dozen AIR CAP3502I access points, with a 24 port Catalyst 3560G POE switch.  I am having one heck of a hard time with the set up.  The access points cannot find my controller, and im not sure why.  

All devices are on the same subnet

APs are connected to an access interface (on my desk in my office, no other equipment in between the swith and APs) on the catalyst with POE.  I configured one for a static IP within the same subnet as the controller, but it could not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER (even though i entered an A record and i can ping the hostname from my PC).  After a while, it will revert to DHCP, and sometimes get an IP and subnet, then it will get the DNS address, and resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER, but i get a different error:

*Mar  1 00:19:34.050: %CAPWAP-5-STATIC_TO_DHCP_IP: Could not discover WLC using static IP. Forcing AP to use DHCP.
*Mar  1 00:19:43.059: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination.
*Mar  1 00:19:43.088: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface GigabitEthernet0 assigned DHCP address 10.0.1.14, mask 255.254.0.0, hostname ******

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.**********"...domain server (a.b.c.d) [OK]

*Mar  1 00:19:48.058: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from DHCP.

This sequence will loop through over and over.

The DHCP server is our firewall, not a windows server box.

Catalyst is connected to the WLC with a dot1q trunk interface (problem is the same when its an access interface)

I can ping the management interfaces of both the switch and controller (and connect to the GUI) from my networked PC

The controller is in Master controller mode

LWAPP Transport mode is layer 3

One of my concerns is that ive seen that the WLC has to be on version 7 to add the APs that i have.  Right now, its on version 4.2.207.0.  I tried to download the update, but i dont have a support contract on the WLC, so i would have to get my manager to set one up, but i only want to go that route if thats the only thing keeping us from turning up the wireless.

ANy assistance that can be provided would be MUCH appreciated.  I am happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's what is stopping you.

That's what is stopping you. The 3500 series AP requires 7.0 code to be able to join the WLC. Also 7.0 is the last code that the 4400 can run, so you may want to look into migrating to a 5508.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn70mr5.html#pgfId-784295

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
9 REPLIES

That's what is stopping you.

That's what is stopping you. The 3500 series AP requires 7.0 code to be able to join the WLC. Also 7.0 is the last code that the 4400 can run, so you may want to look into migrating to a 5508.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn70mr5.html#pgfId-784295

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thats what i was afraid of.

Thats what i was afraid of.  Any idea on the cost to upgrade from 4.2.207.0 to 7.0?  I guess i need to get a Cisco Partner to sell me the software?

Thanks for the help!

the software isn't for 'sale'

the software isn't for 'sale', so long as you have smart net on your wlc you should be able to download it

HTH,

Steve

When i try to download it

When i try to download it from Cisco.com, i get an error saying i have to have a valid service contract.  We bought the controller reconditioned from a third party, so we dont have a cisco service contract.  Is the Smart Net a Cisco service agreement?

that is correct. --Steve

that is correct.

--

Steve

Ok, thanks.  We dont have a

Ok, thanks.  We dont have a Smart Net contract, so im looking at either converting them to autonomous APs or getting a Smart Net contract, we dont have the budget to upgrade to a 5508.  Thanks for your help!

One more question, if you

One more question, if you dont mind.  Since the 4402 is past the life of support, so the best Cisco would do for me is refer me to a Cisco Partner to see if they will sell a Smart Net contract on it.  If that doesnt work out, i think ill have to convert all the APs to Autonomous mode (not ideal, but for a dozen or so, its manageable).  Is that IOS version another one that i have to have a smart net contract to download?  The site wont let me download it without a support contract.

Thanks!!!

VIP Purple

Hi,Upgrade WLC with the help

Hi,

Upgrade WLC with the help of the nearest IT support partner and it is the best solution. Because of the one software zou are changing all AP so autonomous mode and that will be difficult to manage.

By WLC its easy to mange all APs.

So i will suggest that you must upgrade the software on WLC(You can ask from your supplier from you bought the cisco devices, may be they can help you).

Autonomous image is : k9w7, even for this u need to have smarnet contarct.

Regards

Thanks, Sandeep.  Another

Thanks, Sandeep.  Another option im exploring is a wireless controller module.  I have a 2811 router with 2 unused module slots.  Is this a feasible option to control my WLAN?  Upgrading to a 5500 series controller isnt in the budget, and Cisco wont support the 4402 WLC any more.  So my options look to be autonomous APs (not ideal, i know, but manageable with about a dozen APs), or an alternative controller that can work with the gear that i already have.  Can you tell me anything about a Wireless Controller module that might work with a 2811 Router and 3500 Series LWAP's?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies