Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3502 access point keeps disassociating

We have 5508 controllers on 7.0.230.0 code. We mostly have 3502 clean air access points. We have been having issues with certain AP's disassociating. You can go on the switch and reset the port and it will come right back online. Sometimes it will stay up for 5 hours some times just for 1 or less. The port it is on has no issues and I kept a monitor on the switch just to see if anything in particular was happening and saw nothing going on that would cause the AP to go down.

Apart from the AP being bad. Is there any kind of troublshooting I can do to see what could possibly be causing this. We also have WCS and the in the event log for these AP's it just has them as dissassociating and the reason being none.

• Security and Network Management
Everyone's tags (5)
12 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 3502 access point keeps disassociating

I have the same issue at a client with about 5 out of 660 APs. What I notice is that if I run a show mac address-table interface gix/x/x, I don't see any vlan info until I bounce the port. I'm going to be swapping these APs out maybe by the end of the week.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Check the cable that connects the switch to the WAP.  Most of the time you have a cable fault.  If your switch is Cisco, then can you specify the exact model?

Cisco Employee

How do you power the APs?

You can do the following to verify what is happenning:

on the controller while the AP having the issue is associated do the following:

config ap syslog host specific

config ap logging syslog level debuggging

Also configure the switch at which the AP is connected to send syslog messages

with debugging level to see what is going on at that particular moment when the AP

loses its association from the WLC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't forget to rate correct answers

Thank you for the replies.

Leolaohoo,

The switch is a POE 3750x.

Maldehne,

Thanks for the comands. That is exacly what I was looking for. As for the debug commands on the switch, do I use the same ones you gave me for the controllers?

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Leolaohoo,

The switch is a POE 3750x.

OUTSTANDING!

Great, can I request if you do a cable test, called TDR, from your funky switch?

Here are the command combinations:

1.  Command:  test cable tdr interface ;

2.  Wait for approximately 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  Command:  sh cable tdr interface ; and

4.  Please post the output.

I await to see your response. 

This is a known issue by the Cisco wireless business unit that affects the 3502 AP. They will have a patch for this sometime this summer. Just RMA the unit. I think they issued a bug code as well, I'll look it up and post it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please let us know what the bug id is when you find it.

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

No bug id, called my SE and asked him to look into it (I'm sure he loves me calling so late..lol). We had a conference call with the BU a couple of months ago because we were seeing a 10% failure rate on 3502 AP. They sent Wesley Terry to our campus to apply a patch that had to be done through the serial port. It fixed the problem, but the BU said summertime would be the earliest for a patch. The issue ended up being some kind of issue with the memory calibration. Anyway, just RMA. I'll post anymore info about the bug Id when my SE calls me back.

Thanks for the info!

Views
Helpful
Replies