Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3502i as pure monitoring or to handle clients aswell?

Hi,

Me and my collegue have received two different information on our Cisco IUWNE.

I went the education 1,5y ago and have information that its better to have the 3502i as pure monitoring instead or letting it handle the clienttraffic aswell. What my teacher said is that one basically needs luck to catch the information that a 3502i in monitoring mode does. That a 3502i with client traffic aswell might miss information.

He just went the education and got the information that it doesnt matter if it runs client traffic aswell, it will basically find the same amount of information during the time it monitors the air between the traffic.

We are building wireless for school buildings so we can use 1142n with 3502i (have done so previous) or just 3502i, with the different information we have now we started thinking about pure 3502 enviroment instead of a mix 1142n and 3502i.

Will the monitoring be different depending on which solution we run?

thanks in advance

Anders

Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

What are you trying to "monitor"?

1140 can also go into monitor mode.  Heck, all Cisco WAPs can go into Monitor mode.

Another thing, mixing 3500 with non-CleanAir?  Not a good idea.  You're wasting good money.

3502 APs support CleanAir. You can use them to monitor RF status. 1142 APs don't support cleanAir. Monitor mode APs are not used to monitor RF status which is different than CleanAir feature. Monitor mode APs do not serve clients. So if an AP is set to monitor mode then it does not broadcat the WLANs and hence there is no client connection possibility. CleanAir is a hardware-based analysis for the RF spectrum done by the AP while it continue to serve clients with normal services.

If you have good budget then go for all APs to be 3502. This is more advanced AP.

for cleanAir feature: http://tiny.cc/sm8ojw

HTH

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content