Views
Helpful
Replies

4400 Series Wireless Lan Controller Public SSL Certificate

royston.boot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Rolling out some LWAPs controlled by a 4402 WLC switch. The on-line help/docs say you can install a public SSL cert (for example from Verisign) for Web based user authentication but there is no Certificate Signing Request (CSR) capability that I can find. Have tried generating an SSL cert using openssl, but the 4402 won't load it via tftp. I am sure I need to create the CSR on the box itself, having created a private key first. Anyone done this? Don't want to install internal CA trusted root certs before-hand and network is being used by guests. I will not encourage people to accept SSL certs that don't match a trusted root cert - very bad practice in my view. Appreciate any help. Royston.

4 Replies 4

s.jankowski
Level 4
Level 4

To load an externally generated certificate follow the procedure available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008052d8ef.html#wp1101169

If you are not able to load the certificate using the TFTP server, then the issue must be specific to the TFTP server. Try using a different TFTP server. Try using the Tftpd32 TFTP server.

Frank
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same question. Where do you generate the CSR?

Did you ever figure this out?

Try to look at this doc. Also VeriSign will not support Root certificates after September of this year.. so all certs will be chained and will not work. Look into RapidSSL or other cert providers, but you must make sure it is a root CA certificate.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00806e367a.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We had issues with chained certificates and after pressing Cisco go the following response:

'just had confirmation from the Business Unit that the Chained Certs feature did make the 5.1 release, its just not been documented in the release notes.

These are now being updated, but FYI

5.1 for Web-Auth

5.1 MR1 (Maintenance Release 1) for 802.1X'

Seems that 5.1 WiSM s/w does do chained certs, they just forgot to tell us!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card